Brid kids admit attempted robbery

A magistrate wished a young offender 'good luck' as she spared him custody for his part in an attempted robbery which left the victim bleeding from his head.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 22nd February 2016, 10:50 am
Updated Tuesday, 23rd February 2016, 2:20 pm
The three boys pleaded guilty to attempting to rob Bossyboots off-licence on Queensgate
The three boys pleaded guilty to attempting to rob Bossyboots off-licence on Queensgate

Appearing at East Riding Youth Court the 16-year-old admitted trying to rob the Bossyboots off-licence on Queensgate with two friends, a 16-year-old and 17-year-old.

The court heard one of the boys demanded a member of staff hand over money and cigarettes after they burst into the shop wearing hoods.

But when the cashier couldn't understand the young thug's demands, he was struck over the head with a chair leg, causing a cut to his head and injuring his hands.

Prosecuting, Andrew Vaughan, said the 16-year-old met the other two boys at Bridlington Rugby Club, who were discussing how they were "going to do over Bossyboots".

He said: "This is a very serious offence.

"He [the victim] is hit over the head three times with the chair leg, producing bleeding."

However the member of staff, who is not currently living in Bridlington, managed to grab the chair leg from his attacker and the boys fled the shop.

Mr Vaughan added: "The chair legs were found on land next to East Riding College the next day.

"He [the boy] attended Bridlington Police station two days after with his father and immediately said he was the third person in CCTV footage."

During the police interview he named one of his co-defendants - but not the third - who he said had planned to threaten the member of staff with the chair leg.

In mitigation, Miss Lee said the boy had become involved with the wrong group of friends who led him astray, and was afraid of what would happen if he said anything.

She said: "He realises it was serious. As a consequence he tells me he heard others' names given as part of the incident and felt it was wrong to let anyone be accused for his part in it.

“He went into that interview and accepted responsibility and was open with officers - he could do no more after the incident. He took responsibility then and takes absolute responsibility now by pleading guilty immediately."

Chairman of the bench Anne Farnsworth asked the boy how he felt about being in court, to which he replied: "I feel sorry for that person in the shop - he would have felt scared."

Because of his early guilty plea and his willingness to co-operate with the police, magistrates spared the boy a custodial sentence.

Chairman Farnsworth added: "We have stepped back from custodial sentencing and impose a maximum 12-month youth referral order.

“We also note a high degree of remorse on your part. You did the right thing by going to the police.

"Good luck for your future - it should not be in a courtroom."

The second 16-year-old, who will be sentenced in March, admitted attempted robbery, possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and a breach of a criminal behaviour order.

The 17-year-old also pleaded guilty to attempted robbery and possession of a weapon. Now a Newton hearing has been arranged to establish whether it was he who attacked the shopkeeper.