Bridlington paedophile gets 13 years

A serial paedophile has been sentenced to 13 years in prison for stealing the innocence of four children in a 17-year reign of abuse.

By The Newsroom
Friday, 20th May 2016, 4:20 pm
Updated Friday, 20th May 2016, 5:26 pm
Colin Lunn
Colin Lunn

Former KC stadium steward Colin Lunn, 43, systematically molested children and physically assaulted them for his own sexual gratification.

He got away with it for nearly two decades despite nine separate police or social service investigations.

Lunn, a self confessed alcoholic, equipped his home in Bessingby Gate, Bridlington, with cameras in the bathroom, bedrooms, toilet and hall - linked to a CCTV video recorder.

Lunn stood a 10-day trial at Hull Crown Court claiming to be a victim of a social services vendetta. A jury found him guilty of 11 charges against four people with a string of offences happening in Bridlington. He was convicted of four charges of indecent assault and two charges of indecency with a child.

He was also convicted of one charge of attempted serious sexual assault, two offences of sexual activity with a child, engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child, and sexual assault. He was found not guilty of two sex offences against a fifth child.

Lunn stood impassive in the dock as the judge told him: “I have not detected one ounce of remorse in you at all. Your defence has been to blame other people and criticise them without thinking of the affect it has had on them. Therefore the sentence has to be a long one.”

The first boy to be corrupted by Lunn told a jury: "It has ruined my life. I don’t cuddle up to my daughter, because I am scared it is seen the wrong way. If I see an advert on telly about child abuse, it gets me down.

"I have left jobs because of it. I don’t know what I could have done to stop it.”

The boy, now a man, twice took part in vigilant attacks on Lunn despite appeals to police. Lunn was told: “Die! Paedo Die!” as he was hit with a spade and rake.

Lunn’s current partner wept in the public gallery at sentence - before storming out.

His victims hugged each other in the public gallery as victim impact statements were read. The women described how his abuse had led to them to feel unable to trust men, anger and hatred.

His abuse started with young boys who fought to try and stop him. The mother of one of the boys said: “The police did not do their jobs right. They did not photograph them and asked the same question five times.

"I swore at them. He (Lunn) should never have been walking the streets. No one has helped us.”

The jury were told Lunn went on to sexually assault two girls and a woman.

Lunn threatened to bomb the headquarters of Humberside Social Services despite never being charged in connection with any of the investigations against him.

He told the jury during his trial: “They threatened me and were going through my file with a fine tooth comb.

"It was a vendetta. Social Services are not going to give up on me until I am convicted or dead.”

The jury were told police files were lost, child interviews did not take place and the police repeatedly dropped cases.

Lunn had three convictions for drink-driving, possession of a knife and cannabis, but no convictions for sexual assault.

He admitted becoming an alcoholic in a love-less marriage. The jury heard his first wife died of a drink and drugs overdose, but not before giving police a statement against him.