Coastguard and lifeboat called out in Whitby after three people cut off by tide

Three people had to be rescued by Whitby Coastguard, lifeboat volunteers and lifeguards after getting cut off by the tide yesterday (Monday).

By Sarah Fitton
Tuesday, 1st September 2020, 9:16 am
Updated Tuesday, 1st September 2020, 9:20 am
The stranded trio were helped across rocks to the east pier
The stranded trio were helped across rocks to the east pier

The coastguard were called out just before 1pm to help the trio who were stuck under the old coastguard lookout near the East Pier.

Lifeguards and Whitby's inshore lifeboat helped find the three people and members of the coastguard team made their way out across the rocks to them.

The coastguards then helped them back across the rocks to the East Pier where they were given casualty care and safety advice.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

A spokesperson for Whitby Coastguard said: "Please ensure that you are well prepared for whatever activity you intend to undertake at the coast.

"In particular remember to take appropriate equipment for the conditions and check the weather forecast and tide times before you set out.

"If you see anyone in trouble at sea or on the coast, dial 999 and ask for the coastguard."

A message from the editor

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the highest standards in the world.

The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive.

We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you,

Jean MacQuarrie, Editor-in-Chief