Banned driver spared jail after police chase

A banned driver who led police on a high-speed chase narrowly avoided prison despite crashing into parked cars and injuring his passenger.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 3rd February 2016, 9:34 am
Updated Wednesday, 3rd February 2016, 9:39 am
Derbyshire Police
Derbyshire Police

Michael Raisbeck, 28, already had three previous driving bans when police spotted him driving a Suzuki Swift in Church Square, Whitby.

Raisbeck sped off past startled pedestrians and hurtled round a 90-degree bend towards Crescent Place, where he nearly hit a parked car, York Crown Court heard on Friday.

He pulled out of a junction in front of an oncoming car and sped through Wellington Terrace, colliding with two parked cars.

Prosecutor Graham O’Sullivan said the Suzuki hit the back of a VW Polo, which was shunted into a neighbouring property and a jeep parked behind it. The Suzuki then struck a Renault Clio after Raisbeck lost control on a bend.

Raisbeck fled, leaving behind a male passenger with a cut lip caused by the crash, but was caught by police who found two packets of high-strength cocaine on him.

Raisbeck, of St Peter’s Road, Whitby, was charged with dangerous driving, possessing Class A drugs, driving while disqualified, and having no licence or insurance in connection with the incident at about 9.30am on September 27 . He appeared for sentence after pleading guilty to all the offences.

The court heard the former car mechanic was banned in May 2011 for driving without a licence or insurance. In 2012 he was disqualified for another two years for drink-driving.

In January 2014, he was given a four-year ban after driving while disqualified and failing to provide a specimen for a drink-drive test. It’s understood that Raisbeck has never held a licence.

Defence barrister Glen Parsons said the married father-of-three had since tried to turn his life around and found new work as a hotel sous-chef.

Although police found drugs on Raisbeck, he had not been driving under the influence. Judge Rodney Jameson QC gave Raisbeck a 12-month prison sentence, suspended this for a year.He was also given a four-year driving ban and 200 hours’ unpaid work.