Scarborough pensioner faces jail after jury finds him guilty of sex assaults on young girl
A Scarborough pensioner is facing a stretch behind bars after a jury found him guilty of a string of sexual assaults on a young girl whose life had been “destroyed” by his behaviour.
Eric Roe, 70, waged a prolonged campaign of sexual abuse against the girl which went unreported for years, York Crown Court heard.
On Monday, following a week-long trial, the jury unanimously found Roe guilty of 13 separate charges, including indecency with a child and causing a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity.
The offences dated back many years, when Roe was in his 50s, but the victim did not come forward to police until 2018.
The offences occurred at a property in Scarborough.
The victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, underwent counselling and sought help from her doctor as she got older after showing signs of distress and being “visibly upset”.
Judge Simon Hickey said Roe’s campaign of abuse had “effectively destroyed (the victim’s) life”.
He told the pensioner he would be remanded in custody until the sentence hearing next month.
Roe, of Commercial Street, Scarborough, was led down to the cells by a dock officer.
He will learn of his fate on April 8.
A message from the editor
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.
Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the highest standards in the world.
The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.
Jean MacQuarrie, Editor-in-Chief