Sex offender Reece Hudson hid internet-enabled mobile phone under his pillow during routine police visit

A Scarborough sex offender has been spared prison after breaching a court order designed to protect young girls.

Friday, 7th February 2020, 11:48 am

Reece Hudson, 22, was made subject to a sexual-harm prevention order in October 2017 which included strictures on his use of the internet and social media.

This followed his conviction for a string of sex offences including four counts of sexual activity with a teenage girl, possessing indecent images of children and inciting under-age girls to engage in sexual activity.

The girls were said to be between 13 and 15 years of age, York Crown Court heard.

Reece Michael Hudson

Hudson, who was under 18 at the time of those offences, breached the order in December last year when police found an internet-enabled mobile phone during a routine, pre-arranged visit to his home.

Under current law, offenders such as Hudson are required to inform police if they obtain a new phone capable of accessing the internet. They must also submit to regular police inspections of their internet devices.

During the inspection on December 17, Hudson handed over a mobile phone to police, but officers then heard a “ringing sound” coming from underneath a pillow on his bed. It transpired that Hudson had another phone which he had hidden under his pillow.

“He was asked to hand over the phone which he removed from under the pillow and threw across the room,” said prosecutor Lydia Carroll.

As he did so, Hudson shouted: “Here, have it then – breach me. You never help me. I’ve been asking for help from all agencies and no-one will help me.”

Hudson claimed he had been given the new phone by a female friend.

He claimed the phone had no SIM card, but he had accessed the internet through wi-fi to go on social-media sites. There was no evidence that he had tried to contact any under-age girls or committed any new offences on that phone.

Hudson, of Castle Road, admitted breaching the order by possessing the phone and appeared for sentence on Thursday.

Defence barrister Nick Peacock said there was no evidence of renewed online offending following examination of the phone.

Recorder Simon Jackson QC said Hudson still appeared to be “in denial” about his debauched sexual proclivities and had “tried to blame other people (for his behaviour)”, but agreed to the defence request to suspend the inevitable jail sentence.

Hudson’s eight-month prison sentence was suspended for two years. He was also ordered to complete a rehabilitation course and carry out unpaid work in the community.