Fat on gas hob sparks blaze at property in Malton

Firefighters were called to a fire caused by fat on a gas hob in Malton on Monday.

By Carl Gavaghan, Local Democracy Reporting Service
Wednesday, 2nd December 2020, 9:02 am

The occupier has put out the flames at the two-storey property at East Mount in Malton using water from a garden hose by the time the crews arrived shortly after 5.43pm.

Firefighters believe it was caused by fat on the gas hob catching fire, with flames spreading to the extractor hood.

A message from the editor

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

A fire crew attended the scene of a blaze in Malton.

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the highest standards in the world.

The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive.

We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you

Jean MacQuarrie, Editor-in-Chief