Filey landlady attacked partner with a wine glass

A troubled former TV presenter and radio broadcaster is in hot water again after smashing a wine glass over her partner's head.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 16th May 2018, 2:19 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th May 2018, 2:36 pm
Samantha Bush outside of court

Samantha Bush, 50, attacked her then partner while his back was turned, leaving a nasty wound on the back of his head which required several stitches, York Crown Court heard.

The “callous and appalling” attack happened at the couple’s then home in Filey, where Bush – a former ITV television host and BBC radio presenter – flew into a drunken rage during an argument.

Bush, who has had a long-standing battle with alcoholism, was taken in for questioning about the attack but falsely claimed she had acted in self-defence.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

She is a the landlady at The Three Tuns

She ultimately admitted wounding her partner but without intent, which was accepted by the Crown Prosecution Service.

Bush, aka Mason, appeared for sentence on Friday, when the court heard about her dramatic fall from grace since her days as a TV host.

Prosecutor Nicola Alistari said the mother-of-one had struck her partner with a single blow by using a wine glass as a “weapon”.

She added that Bush, formerly of Bristol, had previous convictions for serious driving offences. In 2003, Bristol magistrates gave her a 12-month driving ban for failing to provide a breath specimen after she was stopped on suspicion of drink-driving. Less than two months later, she was caught speeding and driving while disqualified, but escaped prison after testimony from her family and a TV colleague, who said she was “crying out for help”.

In November 2008, Bush – who now runs the Three Tuns pub in Filey – was fired by the BBC after she was caught making an allegedly racist remark during an off-air call to a local taxi firm, asking them not to send an Asian driver, while trying to arrange a car for her teenage daughter.

Defence barrister Taryn Turner said that Bush, who lives at the pub in Murray Street, had sought help from Alcoholics Anonymous, has been sober for two months and was now trying to make a new living as a pub landlady.

“She had a very successful career as a journalist,” added Mrs Turner. “It’s probably the case that her demon has been her drinking to excess.”

Bush was married to Andrew Bush, a millionaire Bristol gold dealer, who was killed by his ex-girlfriend in Spain in 2014. She had to cope with his murder and other recent family bereavements.

Mrs Turner said that Bush’s relationship with her partner had been “disastrous” and they had since separated.

Judge Andrew Stubbs QC described the incident as an “awful, drunken attack” on the victim.

“He was bleeding profusely, which led you, callously and uncaringly, to go to your bedroom and watch TV – more concerned, in your drunken state, about the police being called, rather than the injuries (to the victim),” he added.“That is an appalling state of affairs.”

Bush was given a nine-month prison sentence, which was suspended for two years because of her personal problems, the steps she had taken to beat her addiction and “the realistic prospect of rehabilitation”.

She was also ordered to carry out 100 hours’ unpaid work, complete a 30-day rehabilitation programme and given a two-year restraining order.