Hush and Valley are the shoot-out kings in Trophy semi-finals

Hush and Valley both kept their cool in their respective Goal Sports Trophy semi-finals to book their places in the final.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 8th April 2018, 2:22 pm
Updated Sunday, 8th April 2018, 7:46 pm
Angel Reserves, blue kit, take on Hush PICTURES BY STEVE LILLY

Division Two leaders Hush saw off promotion rivals Angel Athletic Reserves 5-4 on penalties after the scores were locked at 1-1 after 120 minutes of a keenly-contested cup battle.

Zak Hansen put Hush ahead in the first half, only for Jack Pinder to level for Angel after collecting a pass over the top from Steven Whitaker.

Angel Reserves on the attack

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

In a scrappy game of few chances, Pinder had an excellent chance to put Angel ahead but his goalbound effort was cleared off the line after he had rounded keeper James Burrows.

There was no further score in the 90 minutes or the two periods of extra-time so the match went to penalties.

Jake Moore converted Angel's first kick and Damian Robinson levelled for Hush. Pinder's effort was stopped by Burrows but then Dean Andrews' effort was saved by Corey Towell.

Corey Towell put Angel 2-1 ahead, JP Watson equalised for Hush and then Dom Barber blazed his penalty over the bar.

Hush push forward

Liam Mintoft then missed his penalty to leave it at 2-2. Aiden Thurston put Angel in front only for Ben Sheader to level once again and the contest went to sudden-death.

Keeper Towell fired Angel 4-3 ahead then Mark Wade struck for Hush, Burrows then pulled off a fine save to deny Marcus Mockridge and Ryan Link scored the penalty to secure Hush's 5-4 win.

Ben Sheader was man of the match for the victors in a fine defensive display.

Valley also needed extra-time and penalties to secure their place in the final, earning a 3-2 shoot-out win against Radio Scarborough after the scores were locked together at 2-2 after 120 minutes.

Angel Reserves on the attack

Elliott Backhouse's bullet header put Radio Scarborough in front but James Thompson levelled for Valley from a corner before half-time.

Ross Campbell put the home side on front with a shot fired into the bottom corner after a goalmouth scramble, but Radio Scarborough refused to buckle and levelled with a Ryan Hunter penalty in injury-time.

There were no further goals in extra-time, with Valley keeper Stefan Campell pulling off some superb stops in the penalty shoot-out to steer them into the final, centre-back Josh Welburn firing in the crucial spot-kick to seal a 3-2 win.

The Valley man of the match was split between gloveman Stefan Campbell and Welburn, while the tireless Mark Webster was Radio Scarborough's star man.

Hush push forward

Star striker Liam Salt hit a magnificent seven goals as Trafalgar strolled into the semi-finals of the Senior Cup with a 13-0 win against West Pier.

Salt continued his astounding run and also earned the man of the match award as Traf turned on the style to see off a determined Pier side at Oliver's Mount.

Fellow striker Luke Jones and central midfielder Sam Pickard also bagged a brace of goals.

A Josh Young penalty and a half-volley from Jamie Patterson secured the win for the league leaders.

Dean MacAuley, who was in charge of Traf in the absence of boss Col Jenkinson, said: "The lads played very well on a very difficult playing surface up at the Mount.

"Liam Salt and Luke Jones were excellent up front against a Pier side who gave it their all."

Traf will now make the trip to face Newlands in the semi-finals.

Newlands eased to an 8-2 home Sunday League Division One win against Fylingdales to keep the pressure on the top two of Trafalgar and Angel.

Ben Luntley led the way with a hat-trick for the home side, with Aiden Thomas (2), Mikey Anderson, Stew Bates and a 30-yard strike from Liam Cooper completing the scoring for Newlands.

The home side included six young reserve players, with one of them, right-back Ben Dolan, their man of the match, while keeper Adam Quilter and teenage midfielder Beck also shone for Joe Hakings' team.

Adam Crookes scored the first for Dales with a cracking strike and then Simon Forde's breakaway effort had pulled it back to 3-2 at one point for the villagers.

Angel returned to the top of the division with an 11-0 win at the Flamingo Land Stadium against Ayton.

Martin Cooper bagged a hat-trick and Cam Dobson a brace for the high-flyers, with Neil Thomas, Chris Nelson, Ben Mason, Danny Collins, Jackson Jowett and Isaac Sands also on target.

Cooper was named man of the match for Angel, who made a lot of changes to their team at half-time.

Ayton keeper Jamie Taylor was named as man of the match for a string of fine saves, while James Fox, Shaun Dolan and winger Nathan Sutherland also shone for the villagers, who put in a determined effort against the title-chasers.

Castle Tavern surged to a 12-0 home win against nine-man Golden Last in Division Two.

Tom Fennell led the way with four goals, while Paul Mills smashed in a hat-trick and Kyle O'Toole hit a brace.

Keeper Jamie Fowler scored from the penalty spot after he had been fouled in the area after coming up for a corner, with Craig Moss and Jordan Peet also on target.

Centre-back Tom Hickin and central midfielder Jamie Jordan shared the man of the match award for Tavern, who missed a string of chances to add to their tally.