Man, 29, jailed over broken plate attack

A Scarborough man has been jailed for attacking his friend with a broken plate during a drink-and-drug binge.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 1:56 pm
Updated Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 2:58 pm

Damian Hunter, 29, struck the man repeatedly in the head, knocking him temporarily unconscious, York Crown Court heard.

The bloodied victim, who was named in court, suffered serious injuries and was taken to Scarborough Hospital where staff applied 23 sutures to his head, face and hands.

Prosecutor Martin Robertshaw said the 42-year-old victim had been left with severe scarring to his face.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Hunter was arrested and charged with unlawful wounding following the incident at the victim’s flat in Albemarle Crescent, Scarborough, on August 30 last year.

He was remanded in custody and appeared for sentence via video link on Thursday after admitting the offence on the basis that he had acted in self-defence and went too far after an argument turned into ugly violence.

Mr Robertshaw said both Hunter and the victim had long criminal records for violence and had spent time in prison together.

On the day in question both men had been drinking heavily and taking drugs. They and another man went round to the victim’s flat and an argument broke out, at which point “things got completely out of hand”, said Mr Robertshaw.

“The victim was assaulted by (Hunter) who struck a number of blows to his face with a broken plate,” added the prosecutor.

“The victim was knocked unconscious for a short period and received several blows to the head and face. He went to hospital bleeding from his head and face.”

Mr Robertshaw said the victim had spent time in Hull Prison with Hunter just a few months ago.

He added that Hunter had previous convictions for aggravated burglary, violence, shoplifting and carrying a knife in public.

Defence barrister Andrew Semple said Hunter was now trying to get some qualifications under his belt and planned to find work when he was released from prison in an effort to renounce his life of crime.

Recorder Eric Duff jailed Hunter for 28 months.