Man, 53, in court over child abuse allegations

A disabled Hunmanby man has appeared in court to face over two dozen charges centring around the alleged abuse of young boys.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 3rd February 2016, 2:18 pm
Updated Thursday, 4th February 2016, 11:34 am
Miller refused to recognise the court's power when he appeared for the first time on Monday
Miller refused to recognise the court's power when he appeared for the first time on Monday

Wheelchair-bound Glen Miller appeared at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court on Monday over the claims, some of which date back over 30 years.

The 53-year-old refused to enter a plea, claiming he didn’t recognise the right of the court or the Government to try him.

His solicitor Marcus Topham told the morning hearing that his client was reserving his “right” to natural justice.

Miller refused to recognise the court's power when he appeared for the first time on Monday

“He refuses to accept the statutes of this parliamentary system,” said Mr Topham.

However Mr Topham indicated his client will likely deny the charges when a plea is ultimately entered.

“Factually the incidents...did not happen,” claimed the solicitor on behalf of Miller, of Hungate Lane.

Those alleged incidents include claims that Miller assaulted a boy at his property.

Miller refused to recognise the court's power when he appeared for the first time on Monday

He is also alleged to have carried out multiple historical sexual offences on underage males, with some of the charges going back to the start of the 1980s.

Miller, who told the court he doesn’t have a surname and is only called Glen, also faces charges of gross indecency and causing a child to watch pornography.

He is also alleged to have downloaded child pornography, including multiple Category A images which the court classes as being the most serious.

However Mr Topham added: “The images on his electronic device had been put on that device by persons unknown.”

The solicitor added that Miller claimed historical offences relating to one alleged victim, who can’t be named for legal reasons, were a “fiction”.

The diabetic defendant, who was supported in court by a female, struggled to hear proceedings and required a hearing loop.

He was granted conditional bail to appear at York Crown Court on February 29, and is prohibited from contacting his alleged victims or anybody under 18 unless the appropriate safeguards are in place.