The building on the right is the South Cliff tramway station. This cliff lift opened in 1874 and was the earliest of three to be built at Scarborough.
Looking towards Cayton Bay there is no bathing pool which dates the picture to pre-1913 when building work commenced on the new outdoor attraction.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection. Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-170619-125723050.