The ground was more than a cricket field: in its early days tennis, hockey, football and even outdoor bowls were also played there.
Scarborough Lawn Tennis Club shared the ground with the cricketers from the 1880s and the first Yorkshire Championships were held there in 1906. Tennis courts can be seen marked out in the foreground of the picture.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection. Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-170124-085046050.