This year marks the 200th anniversary of the rebuilding of old St Stephen’s Church at Fylingdales. To celebrate this historic event a large painted sundial, created by local craftsmen, has been erected over the church porch.
Old photographs of the church taken during the last century clearly show that there was a gate into the church porch and a large wooden sundial fixed above the entrance.
The sundial was nearly a metre square, painted white with black lettering.
COURT: Scarborough brothers threw man around 'like a rag doll' during vicious street attacks
Vandalised Scarborough allotments to be restored as council approves plans to help tackle hundreds stuck on waiting lists
Scarborough seaweed farm SeaGrown win Government contract to help increase renewable energy
Firefighters respond to Whitby railway blaze and arson in Scarborough
Tractor fire forces police to close road through High Marishes near Malton
It disappeared in the 1980s around the time the church was taken into the care of the Redundant Churches Fund, now the Churches Conservation Trust.
A spokesperson for the church said: “Around 50 people gathered at the old church on Saturday, June 25 to witness Sir Frederick Strickland-Constable, Lord of the Manor of Fyling, perform the official unveiling ceremony.
“The Fylingdales Folk Choir performed several songs, enhanced by the marvellous acoustics of the building, a poem and a sonnet were read and the old organ was played. Refreshments were enjoyed at the end of an historic day.”
The early sundial displayed the dates 1736 and 1864 together with various initials. Later, these were repositioned and the year 1919 and the initials GW and JWB added.