Praise for Scarborough duo who tackled house fire

Firefighters have praised two Scarborough men who rushed into a burning house.

Tuesday, 28th July 2020, 12:53 pm
Updated Tuesday, 28th July 2020, 12:56 pm
Nicholas Wilkinson

Nicholas Wilkinson was one of the heroes who put out the blaze at his neighbours’ home on Overdale in Eastfield.

Firefighters said the men’s actions stopped the flames from spreading further.

The fire service managers for Scarborough said: “We would like to say well done to the members of the public who entered the property and tackled the fire before the arrival of fire crews.

“Their quick thinking action helped to stop the fire from spreading and causing more damage to the property.”

Nicholas, who is a mechanic, lives near the house where the fire happened and was decorating when he heard a commotion outside.

When he went to investigate, he saw two children outside crying and smoke pouring out of a house down the street.

"Black smoke was billowing out,” he said. “It was like a chimney."

The dad-of-three ran into the house, grabbed a bin from the kitchen and kept filling it up in the bath to pour water on the flames, which were in a bedroom.

Another man also ran in to help and together the pair put the fire out.

Nicholas said his neighbours whose house was on fire has been in touch to thank him.

"The fire crew said if it had been burning for another five minutes, it would have spread to the rest of the house,” he added.

Nicholas and the other man needed oxygen and were taken to hospital as a precaution after the fire at 11.37am last Thursday.

Crews from Scarborough and Filey were called to deal with the blaze, thought to have been caused by a battery charger.

It caused damage to a bedroom including a pile of clothing and a bed.