The tower positioned on the corner of the building is a clue to its former use - a Turkish baths.
Bland's Cliff Turkish Baths was open from 1859 until 1931.
Those who have visited the seafront recently, however, will have noticed the landmark is covered in scaffolding.
This is not due to any structural or architectural changes, but merely to give the arcade a bit of a makeover ahead of the 2020 summer season.
The exterior is in the process of being painted and spruced up ready for the busier time of year.
After the original Turkish baths closed, the structure was changed several times and the tower was slightly reduced.
In the second half of the 1900s the building was transformed into an amusements by the Corrigan family, who ran the attraction until 2008, originally calling it Corrigans before the name changed to Coney Island.
The arcade continues to be a popular draw for tourists and locals in Scarborough.