This is what you should do to report lost property

Police are no longer taking with reports of lost property following a change of police nationally.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 17th December 2018, 1:53 pm
Updated Monday, 17th December 2018, 2:03 pm
Police will no longer deal with lost property
Police will no longer deal with lost property

Humberside Police said recording incidents of lost property was taking taking up a lot of officers' time and there was a very low success rate of finding items and reuniting them with their owner.

"The change to lost property will provide a more efficient system and aid in reducing demand, enabling forces to focus police time on areas that are more appropriate."

The public are advised to report any lost property for free through and for lost pedal cycles via Lost property can also be reported at for a small fee, however a reference number will be provided for insurance purposes if needed.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Found property will continue to be accepted and recorded by police, but will only include the following items:

Items capable of containing data e.g. mobile phones, computers, tablets.

Cash within wallets that are identifiable.

Cash – no owner identified

Firearms and ammunition






Bank cards

Identity cards

Personal documentation such as benefit books and cheque books

Birth, marriage and death certificates

Driving Licences

The force said: "We would always advise to register your property, is a free service that allows you to register your items, and should they be lost or stolen, greatly enhances the chances of your being returned to you if it is lost or stolen."