Video: Landlord faces prosecution for illegally renting out '˜house of horrors' to young family that were left to live in slum-like conditions

The family with two young children were forced to use hot water from a bath in the kitchen to wash their dirty dishes while their fridge freezer was kept outdoors.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 4th April 2016, 10:33 am
Updated Monday, 4th April 2016, 10:36 am

There was dangerous exposed electrical wiring, and missing ceilings in an upstairs bedroom. Inspection officers discovered the property in Manor Park, north east London, had been partially gutted for refurbishment - while still charging a family £700 a month to live there. The chimney breast had been removed in bedrooms where the family were sleeping, but there were no supporting beams had been put in place to protect them from collapse. Officers from Newham Council issued a prohibition notice to the landlord last month, banning anyone from living inside the house until it is made safe.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter