Prince Philip has left hospital after a month - the latest on his condition

Tuesday, 16th March 2021, 11:44 am
Updated Tuesday, 16th March 2021, 11:44 am
Prince Philip has left King Edward VII’s Hospital in London, where he has been recovering after heart surgery (Photo: Jeff Spicer/Getty Images)

Prince Philip has left King Edward VII’s Hospital in London where he has been recovering after heart surgery.

The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, left the private King Edward’s hospital in central London in the back of a black BMW on Tuesday morning (16 March).

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Why was Prince Philip in hospital?

The Duke of Edinburgh was first admitted to hospital on 16 February after becoming unwell and has now spent 28 days in hospital - which is his longest ever stay.

He was initially driven to the private King Edward VII’s Hospital in central London by car, after a doctor was called at Windsor and advised the duke to go to the hospital.

However, it was not an emergency admission and he travelled to the hospital by car.

Four days after his admission to King Edward’s, the duke was visited by his eldest son the Prince of Wales, who made a 200-mile round trip and stayed with his father for around 30 minutes.

Two weeks later, the duke was then moved from King Edward’s to St Bartholomew’s Hospital on 1 March by ambulance.

The duke underwent a successful procedure on a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s on 3 March, before then being transferred back to King Edward’s to recover.

At the time, Buckingham Palace said Prince Philip was to remain in King Edward’s hospital for a period of time for “treatment, rest and recuperation”.

The duke has now left the hospital and will be returning home, after police blocked vehicle access to the private hospital and four police officers arrived on motorcycles to join numerous officers at the entrance of the hospital.

Prince Philip and the Queen, 94, have spent the most-recent lockdown in England living at Windsor Castle with a small group of household staff, nicknamed HMS Bubble.

The couple, who have been married for 73 years, received their first Covid-19 jabs from a household doctor in January.