Boro are held by high-flying Glossop

Scarborough Athletic turned in a workmanlike performance on Tuesday night to secure a battling goalless draw against high-flying Glossop at Queensgate.

By Martin Dowey
Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 1:09 am

The draw ended a run of two defeats, but the goal drought, which now spans almost four-and-a-half hours of football, frustratingly continued.

At times Boro looked anything but goal-shy, as the work-rate and exertion of strikers Gary Bradshaw and Tom Corner certainly deserved a breakthrough.

Boro also held firm at the back though, comfortably staving off the threat of a visiting side, who had only been kept out in one game so far this season.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Home bosses Bryan Hughes and Paul Foot shook things up ahead of kick-off, searching for the key alteration that may lead to the all-important break.

The hosts started well, the front pair of Bradshaw and Corner doing the hard yards to agitate the Glossop defenders.

Despite this, Boro keeper Rob Zand was the first to have his hands warmed, as he grasped a close-range effort from Thomas Bailey after a slip in the home defence.

The game continued to heat up with a number of interesting challenges flying in, much of the focus of this surrounded Boro attacker Corner.

The hosts soon began to create some chances of their own, with Bradshaw having a smart header saved. The resulting corner then fizzed across a static six-yard box.

The strike force of Bradshaw and Corner continued to cause problems, with the former seeing his rising drive skim the bar after some good industry from Corner.

Boro maintained the pressure when the new half began, with Ryan Qualter having a header saved, which was soon followed by a useful shout for a penalty.

Corner looked to have been tugged when he was poised to pull the trigger, but his protests from the deck were met by the shake of referee Mr Guest’s head.

Bradshaw was the next to hang his head, as his sweet drive from the edge of the area whipped just over the bar.

Glossop threw on top-scorer Jamie Rainforth in a bid to provide attacking impetus, while Boro launched Dominic Rowe, Ryan Blott and Alex Peterson for their final throw of the dice.

there were no explosions of action though, in fact little happened to threaten a goal in the dying moments, with the game petering out to a stalemate.

The final whistle was greeted by some positivity though, as the home fans noticed the improvement, the clean-sheet and what clearly was a good home performance.