Boro disappoint in Goole draw

A dismal first-half performance cost Scarborough Athletic all three points on the road at Evo-Stik North basement boys Goole on Bank Holiday Monday.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 29th August 2016, 4:01 pm
Updated Monday, 29th August 2016, 5:11 pm
Boro report
Boro report

An abysmal performance in the opening 45 minutes meant that they trailed 1-0 at half-time. They did launch something of a fight-back in the second period to grab a share of the spoils.

There were changes from the 1-0 win against Colwyn Bay just a few days earlier, as David Brown and Jamie Forrester slotted in for Chris Bolder and Callum Terrell.

This didn't seem to help in an awful first half of football for Steve Kittrick's men.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The one-dimensional approach of Goole somehow seemed to pay off, as Boro struggled to cope with the long ball.

More frustratingly for the travelling fans was the fact that little happened in attack, despite the attempted orchestration of midfielder Adam Bolder.

After a number of threatening set-pieces, Goole finally took the lead in regimented fashion.

The usual ball picked out Sam Colbear at the far post and he nodded back to player-boss Lee Morris, who nudged the ball home.

The most unbelievable thing was the fact that Boro hadn't picked up on this.

Boro offered bits towards the end of the first half, but nothing flash.

David Brown just failed to get on the end of Craig Nelthorpe's ball into the box, then Adam Bolder sent an effort over the bar of Goole keeper Jamie Green.

A reaction was warranted from Boro when the next half got underway, but it wasn't forthcoming.

Nelthorpe looked an early threat on the left, but Boro once again began to fade as a force as the minutes passed.

The injection of Carl Stewart, Joe Lamplough and Niall Flint soon brought them to live though.

Lamplough sturdied up the defence, Flint looked dangerous on the right and Stewart brought the finishing touch.

This came with 74 minutes on the clock after some persistent pressure from Boro.

Stewart was picked out on the far post and he smartly flicked the ball into the back of the net.

Boro had a great shout for a penalty seconds after the re-start, but the referee shook his head when David Brown looked to have been tripped.

The momentum wasn't maintained in the final moments, though Boro were comfortably on top.

In the end, Boro paid the price for their slow start, a trait that needs to be swiftly discarded.