Boro edge out Scarborough Rep Team

Scarborough Athletic kicked off their pre-season preparatory work with a 2-0 win against a battling Scarborough & District League Rep Team on Saturday afternoon.

Sunday, 17th July 2016, 1:07 pm
Updated Sunday, 17th July 2016, 2:14 pm
Cameron Dobson holds off Boro's Dean Lisles

In the searing Silver Royd heat, two first-half goals forced a sharp looking Boro clear of their rivals.

Due to the conditions and the time of year, this was never going to be a classic, but there were some bright moments to please a large audience.

Boro contained a number of new faces in their side and two of those, in the returning David Brown and fellow striker Paul Beesley, bagged the decisive goals.

Drew McCoubrey gets on the ball

It certainly wasn't one-way traffic though, as the Rep Team had the first chance of the afternoon.

Cameron Dobson rose on the edge of the box to arc a header over Boro keeper Jordan Porter, though frustratingly for the Hunmanby man, it sailed over the bar.

Boro almost took the lead soon after when Brown dinked the ball over the advancing Jonny Hyde, but his effort was hacked away.

Within 60 seconds it was 1-0 to Boro.

Liam Ormsby of Boro comes under pressure from Tommy Barker

Callum Robinson's dance into the area was cut short by Lloyd Henderson's challenge and Brown picked out the corner from the penalty spot.

Matty Bloor whipped an effort from distance just past the angle of post and bar, before Boro wrapped up the tie right on the stroke of half-time.

Striker Beesley perfectly met a corner from the left and he angled his header into the back of the net.

The changes were rung throughout the second half, as both teams struggled against the heat.

Drew McCoubrey and Eddy Birch battle for the ball

Boro's exciting new winger Assan Keita showed a bit from his locker, as he jigged through six Rep Team tackles before being felled on the edge of the box. Though the resulting free-kick came to nothing.

The Rep Team had their big opportunity to haul themselves back into the game with 15 minutes remaining, as sub Drew McCoubrey was sent in on keeper Porter.

He lifted the ball over him and into the path of Jamie Bradshaw, but the flying winger rolled wide under challenge from Dean Lisles.

Chris Ferrey made sure Boro didn't move further ahead in the very last minute, as the West Pier man saved superbly from Robinson.

Drew McCoubrey gets on the ball
Liam Ormsby of Boro comes under pressure from Tommy Barker
Drew McCoubrey and Eddy Birch battle for the ball