BORO JUNIORS: Dolphin nets a brace in Boro Under-13s win at Shiptonthorpe

Boro Juniors round-upBoro Juniors round-up
Boro Juniors round-up
Scarborough Athletic Under-13s travelled to Shiptonthorpe and won 3-1.

Boro started well and after 15 minutes of constant pressure the opening goal came when Aaron Dixon struck a fine shot that the home keeper could not hold and Joe Wood nipped in to give Boro the only goal of the first half.

Scarborough started the second half very much the same way as they did the first and were rewarded with a second goal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

This time Dixon’s fierce strike could only be parried to the feet of Nathan Dolphin, who finished from close range.

Scarborough were then awarded a free-kick and Charlie Wright’s strike looked goal -bound until the Shiptonthorpe keeper got a hand on it, only to see it fall to Dolphin to tuck it away for his brace and hand Boro a 3-0 advantage.

Boro didn’t have it all their own way and the home team pushed forward and were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box, but Boro keeper Regan Exley pulled off a great save to keep it at 3-0.

Minutes later the home team were awarded a penalty, the second in two weeks for the Scarborough keeper to face and like last week, Exley pulled off a great save down to his right.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the last three minutes of the game Shiptonthorpe got a consolation goal with a fine strike into the top corner, but Boro held firm to get the win.

Scarborough Athletic Under-15s made it six league wins on the bounce with a 5-0 victory over Hessle Sporting Harriers.

This was a comfortable victory for Athletic, but it could have been made a lot harder had Hessle taken advantage of their early opportunities.

After two minutes Cameron Anderson in the Athletic goal had to be out quickly as the Hessle striker found himself in the clear.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The striker hit his shot straight at Anderson, who did well to hold on as the striker looked for the rebound.

On four minutes Anderson made an even better save, getting down low to his left to save one-handed and smother the loose ball before either striker or defender could get to it.

In between these two chances, Lewis McGrath had a long-range shot gathered by Hessle keeper at the other end.

Athletic were quickly growing into the game and after 10 minutes McGrath’s slide-rule pass found Dan Simpson on the right, whose cross found Jaydan Hindle to slot coolly past the keeper to make it 1-0.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

McGrath then had a header narrowly miss the target, just flying wide of the upright.

Midway through the half Athletic went 2-0 up when Harry Coldbeck won possession on the left and fed man of the match Tom Wright, who fended off one tackle and curled over the keeper into the bottom corner from outside the box.

Hessle were creating chances of their own and should have pulled one back when a great opportunity went wide from close-range.

Athletic were retaining possession well and following a period of possession, Nathan Vidler was very unlucky not to add a third for Athletic.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

George Walmsley put in a peach of a ball from the right and Vidler’s downward header was somehow tipped away brilliantly by the keeper.

Athletic then added a third 10 minutes before the break when Hessle’s centre-half headed the ball into his own net from a Finlay Marsh cross.

Four minutes into the second-half Hindle’s deflected shot from the edge of the box made it 4-0 and a now rampant Boro added a fifth when Zam Deans’ accurate cross found Walmsley, whose header nestled in the back of the net.

Soon after Walmsley’s long-range drive narrowly failed to find the back of the net, grazing the crossbar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Deans then found Nathan Parker on the left and after beating off the defender’s challenge, his shot forced the keeper into another fine save.

Wright had the last opportunity to add a sixth, but his first-time volley went narrowly wide and Boro had to settle for a 5-0 scoreline.

Scarborough Athletic Under-12s hosted Hedon Rangers in a league encounter at Bramcote.

Hedon arrived with only eight players available for a nine-a-side match, so Scarborough agreed to play with only eight men as well, choosing not to take advantage of their opponents misfortune of players missing.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The game started at a high tempo with both sides attacking from the off.

Scarborough went close on numerous occasions before Hedon broke away and scored a good team goal in the 20th minute to take the lead.

Scarborough then began putting the pressure on and levelled things up through a thunderbolt strike from Tyson Greening.

The game carried on going from end-to-end with both sides playing good football right up to half-time, with chances going narrowly wide of the mark.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the second half Scarborough really piled on the the pressure on and Greening struck another thunderbolt from 20 yards out into the bottom corner to give Scarborough a 2-1 lead.

Shortly after Scarborough raced into a 4-1 lead with goals from Ted Broadbent and Frazer Ives.

If Boro’s youngsters thought they’d be in for an easy ride, Hedon had other thoughts and grabbed two goals back on the break, both neat finishes by their two forwards after good build-up play.

Confidence was flowing from the Boro team by this point though and with five minutes left to go sealed the victory with a follow-up strike from Josh Kelly after Hedon’s keeper could only parry another quality strike from Greening.

The home side hung on for a deserved win.

Visitors Hedon played some quality football despite their lack of players, with credit also to Boro for agreeing to play with only eight men.

Related topics: