BORO JUNIORS: Under-15s ease into last eight with Hessle win

Scarborough Athletic Under-15s beat third division Hessle Rangers 6-1 at Bramcote in the second round League Cup encounter, the home side wasting no time in taking the lead inside the first minute.

Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 10:38 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:08 pm
Boro Juniors round-up

Dan Simpson, on the right flank, was fed the ball directly from the kick-off and fired in a cross which the unfortunate defender turned past his own keeper to make it 1-0 to Boro Under-15s.

On four minutes a Lewis McGrath corner found Finlay Marsh unmarked in the box and his powerful header found the corner of the net to put Boro 2-0 up.

Athletic were now camped mostly in the opposition half and chances were flowing.

Zam Deans tried his luck with an overhead-kick which flew narrowly over the crossbar.

Next up Jaydan Hindle cut inside from the left and fired in a shot which the keeper did well to turn round the post.

Any thoughts that this may be a potential banana skin for Athletic were ended midway through the half when Tom Wright picked up possession on the half-way line, danced past a couple of challenges and fired a thunderbolt into the top corner from 25-yards to make it 3-0.

Brad Smith then went close with a header as the first half drew to a close.

The second half saw more of the same, with Athletic enjoying a lot of possession in the opposition half.

In the first 15 minutes of the second half, Boro were not doing a lot in the final third, where too many balls went astray.

Notably, a Simpson shot and a Harry Coldbeck strike from close-range, where arguably he should have been awarded a penalty, were the exception.

Athletic added a fourth though when Hindle shot powerfully from the edge of the box and the keeper allowed the ball to squirm under him to hand the hosts a 4-0 advantage.

Hessle were starting to create one or two opportunities of their own and when their striker was brought down in the box a penalty was awarded, the striker sending Cameron Anderson the wrong way from the spot to make it 4-1.

Athletic generally create plenty of opportunities in front of goal and with five minutes remaining Wright beat his man and pulled the ball back to Kane Randerson-Wray, who fired in from eight yards out to hand Boro a 5-1 lead.

With the last kick of the match Wright rounded off a good morning, smashing high into the roof of the net to hand Boro a 6-1 win and a spot in the last eight of the competition.

Jake Standing had a fine game playing mainly in midfield, his creativity and range of passing causing the away team problems all morning.

Scarborough Athletic Under-16s made it through to the next round of the HBSFL KO Cup with 5-2 win over Beverley Whitestar Sharks.

James Skelton opened the scoring for Boro with a cool finish over the keeper, quickly followed by a goal from James Cullen to make it 2-0.

Beverley quickly got a goal back before midfielder Tom Collins fired in for 3-1.

The Sharks pulled another goal back before half-time to leave both sides still in it at 3-2 at the interval.

Shortly after the break it became 4-2 as James Skelton scored another deft chip over the keeper.

The final goal came from Jayden Rodgerson with a 30-yard pile-driver to give Boro a 5-2 win.