Boro’s late show stuns Richmond

Scarborough Athletic turned on the style in the final moments of their North Riding FA Senior Cup tie on Wednesday night.

By Martin Dowey
Thursday, 26th November 2015, 12:07 am

As Wearside League side Richmond Town ran out of gas, Boro put their foot on the accelerator to cruise to a comfortable 3-0 success, booking their place in the next round of the competition.

As well as providing Boro with a huge shot of confidence, the win also ended a frustrating run of form, which has gone on for a little too long.

Joint-bosses Bryan Hughes and Paul Foot were keen to end this dismal spell, as they threw out the strongest of teams, with only Fernando Moke and Alex Metcalfe stepping in from the weekend’s league side.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

It was no walk in the park against a resolute Richmond outfit, who offered little in attack, butrelied heavily on defensive solidity.

Boro almost cracked this resolve in the first minute when Nathan Peat rose well in the box and planted a header just an inch or so over the bar.

The action took a break after this, though Boro were firmly in control of the evening’s entertainment.

The hosts had a couple of good chances to move ahead just before the interval. Gary Bradshaw flicked a header at goal, but it was deflected just wide.

Then Ryan Blott charged clear of the Richmond defence, but he lifted his strike just over the bar from the edge of the box.

There was no letting off in the second half, as the crowd of just 106 saw some of the best football Boro had played in some time.

Despite the clear dominance, the old problem of a cutting edge seemed to be blocking Boro’s path through to the next round.

Not only was keeper Chris WIlson in inspired form, saving brilliantly from Sam Wright, Steve Mallory and Moke, but the ball also didn’t seem to be dropping for Boro inside the box.

That was until Boro had a huge slice of luck of their own.

Blott picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and let go with a low drive. Keeper Wilson seemed to panic, kicking at the ball with his legs. He fell over and it nestled in the bottom corner of his net.

Full-back Paul Robson twice went close for Boro, before Foot and Hughes rang the changes, with Pete Davidson and Tom Corner taking to the field.

Bradshaw continued to plough a furrow up front and it was amazing that he didn’t break his duck with minutes to go.

Peat’s free-kick was spilled by Wilson, and with the keeper on the deck, Bradshaw’s shot was deflected up and onto the bar and then to safety.

More goals were to come though, and just seconds later Corner rose majestically in the box to divert home from close range.

Davidson capped the victory soon after when he delightfully lifted over the keeper and into the net.

Moke could have completed a quartet of great late goals, but his swirling effort angled just over with Wilson stranded.