Coulson's treble sinks Ossett

Michael Coulson struck three as Scarborough Athletic stretched their 100% away record with a 5-2 success on the road at Ossett Albion.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 12:33 am
Updated Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 12:40 am
Boro news
Boro news

Ossett has hardly been a happy hunting ground for Boro in the past, but they were quick to leap over the banana skin with an early goal against their struggling rivals.

And despite a few jitters in the Dimple Wells downpours, the visitors powered to the three points and up to fifth in the Evo-Stik North, propelled by Coulson's first ever hat-trick in senior football.

It took Boro just five minutes to settle their nerves, with Emile Sinclair, returning to the starting XI, muscling his way onto a Ross Daly cross and heading it past Ossett keeper Dylan Parkin.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Boro news

Athletic's size continued to bother the hosts and Matty Turnbull rose well, but his effort ghosted past the post.

Ossett gave the odd flutter to the Boro hearts, and Adam Muller looked to have wriggled clear, but he was superbly stopped by Sam Hewitt's saving tackle.

As the rain began, the quality began to fade out of the game, though their was the odd spatter to follow.

Coulson collected 25 yards from goal, lost his man, but dragged a shot wide of the target.

Boro news

The former Barnsley and St Johnstone attacker was a little more fortunate soon after when he stole onto a Sinclair cross.

The ball bounced up, deflected off his shins and crept over the line to double Boro's lead.

Boro skipper Dave Merris made sure Boro's clean-sheet was intact as they went in for the half-time oranges, drilling the ball off the line after Jordan Snodin's mazy run.

With the rain gathering pace, Boro's spirits may have been dampened a touch when the new period began, with Sinclair going down in a heap.

He was replaced by Craig Nelthorpe just minutes before Boro pounced for their third of the evening.

Jack Johnson whipped a delightful ball into the box that was met by a flying Coulson, giving Parkin no chance.

Coulson then completed his treble, dancing onto a Nelthorpe ball and past a couple of defenders, before floating an effort into the bottom corner.

The calculators were brought out when Nelthorpe found his way onto a break into the box, but he fired a shot just wide.

But instead it was Ossett who came charging back.

Firstly Nathan Curtis took advantage of an unlikely slip from Hewitt and lifted the ball over Tommy Taylor to make it 4-1.

Then a glorious free-kick from sub Kieran Scargill trimmed the cushion back to two goals.

Ross Hardaker drilled the ball into the net as Ossett continued to knock on the door.

That was until Luke Dean capped off Boro's win with a screamer.

Dean cut inside 25 yards from goal and let fly with a scorching drive that flew past the flailing arms of Parkin.

Boro re-found their composure and saw out the final moments to claim a victory and maintain their momentum.