DISTRICT CUP: Five-star Logan sinks old team Newlands

Former Newlands hot-shot Billy Logan slammed in all five goals as his West Pier team beat his old club 5-3 in a thrilling Scarborough FA District Cup quarter-final.

Saturday, 29th October 2016, 5:57 pm
Updated Monday, 31st October 2016, 8:55 am
District Cup

Logan's first-half hat-trick put Pier clear in the first half, but Dan Freer headed in a reply for Geoff Nock's side on the stroke of half-time to spark the tie into life.

Newlands then turned the game on its head with two goals in the opening five minutes of the second period.

The second goal came in the opening minute of the second half when Drew McCoubrey's thumping shot crashed against the crossbar, Stew Bates reacting quickest to head in the rebound.

Five minutes later Jordan Mintoft levelled after a goalmouth scramble to bring the tie to life.

Logan proved to be the match-winner, beating the Newlands offside trap despite vociferous complaints from the visitors and slotting home.

The striker completed his nap hand in injury-time, capping what his boss Andy Spivery hailed as a tremendous personal display.

The Pier chief said: "Logan was the star man but there were several other great displays from the entire team. Our back four of Shaun Dodson, Niall Gibb, Ady Blake and Sam Garnett deserve a mention. Credit goes to Newlands for a tremendous effort."

Nock added: "Their fourth goal looked clearly offside, Logan was the difference between the two sides.

"The whole team played very well and put in a good shift so they deserve to share the man of the match award."

A Dean Craig hat-trick booked a semi-final spot for Edgehill after their 6-3 win at Hunmanby United.

Luke Jenkinson, Kieran Link and Dan Jones notched for the away side, whose star man was Craig, with centre-back Jordan Oliver also impressing.

Whitby Fishermen came from behind twice to net s 3-2 home win against Filey Town.

The visitors opened the scoring, with a superb Jordan Purvis free-kick making it all-square at the break.

Town restored their lead from the penalty spot but a Fishermen spot-kick by Karl Storr made it 2-2.

Man of the match Storr then struck again with a low strike into the bottom corner to secure the win for the home side.

Sleights v Seamer was postponed as the home side could not raise a team for the quarter-final.

Itis Itis Rovers breezed into the next round of the Frank White Trophy thanks to a 5-0 win at Scalby Reserves.

Luke Jones and Dave Young smashed in two goals apiece, with Josh Young also on target, Jones' opening goal the pick of the bunch, a 20-yard free-kick which curled into the top corner.

Mikey Barker, who came on as a sub on the hour mark, hailed the great all-round efforts of his team as they continued their superb league and cup form.