Exley and Walmsley fire Edgehill into Harbour Cup semis

Harbour Cup reportsHarbour Cup reports
Harbour Cup reports
Two goals apiece from Sean Exley and teenager George Walmsley fired Edgehill to a 4-1 win against Itis Itis Rovers at Flamingo Land Stadium on Friday night.

Sean Exley opened the scoring for the visitors after half an hour, smashing home a thunderbolt of a free-kick from 35 yards out.

The same player doubled Edgehill's advantage 10 minutes into the second half from the penalty spot.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Almost straight from the kick-off Itis Itis gave themselves a glimmer of hope with a goal from Callum Gravestock.

But any chances of a comeback from the home team was dashed when Walmsley restored Edgehill's two-goal lead with a neat finish just inside the penalty area on 65 minutes.

Five minutes from time the win was confirmed by Walmsley's second of the game, a powerful drive across the Rovers keeper and into the bottom corner of the net.

Edgehill boss Steve Clegg said: "The man of the match award has to be shared between the whole team as it was an excellent all-round performance."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Niall Gibb was named as the man of the match for Rovers after a strong display in the heart of the home team's midfield.

Newlands hit top form to earn their semi-final spot with a 3-2 win at West Pier.

Liam Salt, Dan Freer and Adam Stride scored for the visitors, with Brad Wood their man of the match.

Newlands boss Paddy Mancrief said: "This was the best I have seen them play, Brad may have been our man of the match but Tom Cammish was brilliant in goal, though overall the whole team were fantastic and played really well."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rich Tolliday levelled for Pier after Newlands led 1-0 at the interval, with two more Newlands goals boosting the visitors before veteran Paul Provin scored a second for Pier.

Pier chief Will Jenkinson said: "We never deserved anything from game really, credit to Newlands they deserved the win. I am hoping we react from today next week."