Filey end Pier unbeaten run to boost title bid

Scarborough News Saturday League division one leaders Filey Town halted West Pier’s 100 per cent record with a thrilling 4-3 win at Clarence Drive.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 7th March 2015, 8:58 pm
Piers Will Jenkinson applys his speed calming measures to pace man Ricky Tomlinson
Piers Will Jenkinson applys his speed calming measures to pace man Ricky Tomlinson

A Neil Thomas free-kick gave the visitors the lead on 12 minutes, but within two minutes John Emmerson had levelled from the penalty spot after Tommy Wilson had been fouled in the area.

In the 29th minute a superb lob from striker James Pinder put Town in front, and a minute before the interval Pier defender James Wardle fired a Ricky Tomlinson cross past his own keeper to put Jay Taylor’s troops in the driving seat at the interval.

Pier gained a foothold in the game after the interval when, in the 73rd minute, Tomlinson lost possession and the ball broke for Neil Thomas, his 18-yard shot rebounding off the bar and falling for Luke Delve to tap in the second goal for the visitors.

Pinder restored Town’s two-goal lead five minutes later after collecting a fine pass from Liam Sugden, but Pier refused to submit and hit a third thanks to a Delve header.

Pinder was named as the man of the match for Town, while boss Taylor was also full of praise for the way in which ref Matt O’Brien handled a keenly-contested match between two title rivals.

Pier chief Andy Spivey singled out Gaz Thomas as his team’s star player.

Westover Wasps moved into third place with a 6-2 home win against Ryedale SC.

Chris Hannam headed Wasps in front early on from an Aidan McCallion cross, and when Luke Jones set up youngster Alistair Jennings he made no mistake to double the home side’s lead.

Luke Rainton, another young player molved up from the reserves like Jennings, set up Jones for his second and Wasps’ third goal.

Jordan Thackeray used his pace and then drilled the ball across the box and it was deflected in by a home defender to make it 3-1.

James Seymour then set up Jones to scoop his second over the Ryedale keeper.

Seymour then set up Jones to complete his treble after the interval, and Jones hit his fourth with a ffierce shot into the top corner, Martin Myers pulling a goal back for the visitors.

Rainton was the Wasps man of the match on his first-team debut, with Harry Reed the Ryedale man of the match.

Whitby RFC’s second division title push suffered a hiccup with their 3-1 loss at third-placed Cayton Corinthians.

The visitors opened the scoring after only 10 minutes when Ben Hogarth followed in a rebound from a free-kick with what proved to be their only shot on target.

Shaun Rennison’s youthful team levelled 10 minutes later when a strong run from Isaac Sands set up his brother Josh to slot in the leveller.

On the hour mark Josh Venner pushed forward and set Isaac Sands free, the latter drilling a low 12-yard shot past the RFC keeper.

Harry Holden’s low free-kick secured the points for Cayton, whose man of the match was central midfielder Jon Read.

The star man for Whitby was Phil Spencer.

Snainton player-boss Leigh Watson hit a brace of goals to earn his side a share of the spoils in a 3-3 draw with visitors West Pier Reserves.

Star man Watson opened the scoring for the hosts but Pietr Zibochi levelled for Pier.

Tom Haldenby’s spot-kick was saved by the Pier keeper just before half-time, but after the interval a Zibochi overhead kick and a Chris Weetman finish put the visitors 3-1 clear.

Ten minutes from time Nathan Barber’s fearsom 25-yard drive brought Snainton back into the game.

Then Pier had a Rob Bowman effort disallowed, but Watson’s late header earned Snainton a point, but the hosts probably needed all three to boost their chances of beating the drop.

Ian Laing banged in a hat-trick as Duchess cruised to a 10-1 home win against nine-man Athletico2B.

Tim Jackson and Tom HIcks banged in a brace of goals apiece, with Gary Maw, James Hughes and Adam North also on target. Jackson Jowett netted the only goal for Athletico2B.

Veteran right-back Paul Flack was the star man for the victors, while North also shone on his return from injury.

Falsgrave Athletic’s third division promotion hopes took a tumble after their 3-1 loss at home to Westover Wasps Reserves, but the game was abandoned a minute from time due to an injury to the Wasps keeper.

Player-boss Paul Brunger tapped in the opener for the visitors after a header from Tom Mackenzie-Fenwick in the 15th minute, and the latter then charged down the Athletic keeper and Dave Young calmly sidefooted the ball in from 25 yards.

Mackenzie-Fenwick sent in the corner for the third goal, which was a bullet header from Brunger.

Zac Hansen pulled a goal back for the hosts in the second half with a 20-yard strike, but he ended the game heading to Scarborough Hospital as he clashed with the Westover keeper, his knee striking the keeper’s nose and breaking it.

Brunger said his whole team deserved the man-of-the-match award for a great performance against second-placed Falsgrave.

Rob Ward’s double helped Ayton Reserves to their first win of 2015, a 4-1 home success against Commercial.

Paul Oldroyd opened the scoring with a spot-kick and Ward headed in soon after from a corner, Commercial pulling a goal back just before half-time with a spot-kick from Ryan Somers.

Man of the match Ward netted a second with a 25-yard volley which was fumbled in by the keper, with super-sub Chris Stubbings netting the fourth after more hesitancy in the visitors’ defence.

Cayton Corinthians Reserves hung on for a 4-3 win at Tennyson.

Ash Durham, Jon Hodgson and Joel Boyer fired Cayton into a 3-0 lead, with Adrian Kiatkowski pulling a goal back, and after the break he struck again to bring it to 3-2.

Mike Szalabski made it 4-2 to Cayton with a neat finish, but a strike from Tennyson man of the match Kieran Elwell forced Cayton to hang on for the win.

Sam Blake was the man of the match for the Cayton side, with Boyer also playing well.

Leaders Seamer Sports Reserves surged to a 3-0 win at Sherburn.

Danny Glendinning’s header put Seamer ahead in the first half, then he unselfishly squared to Gareth Sygrove, who tapped home from close range.

Three minutes from time Kris Tate’s free-kick from the edge of the box sealed the win, with keeper Joe Wright the man of the match for Seamer.