Franks snatches late derby draw for United

Leigh Franks’ 80th-minute effort earned Hunmanby United a share of the spioils in a keenly-contested derby match at home to Scarborough News Saturday League Division One rivals Filey Town.

By Andy Bloomfield
Saturday, 17th October 2015, 9:45 pm
Filey's Ben Briggs is heading for the officials black book. 152117f.Hunmanby V Filey Town Scarborough News Saturday League Division One Saturday 17-10-15@Sands Lane
Filey's Ben Briggs is heading for the officials black book. 152117f.Hunmanby V Filey Town Scarborough News Saturday League Division One Saturday [email protected] Lane

Darren Clough gave the visitors a deserved lead in the first half, firing home from 16 yards.

Clough also had further chances to increase Town’s advantage before half-time, but United hung on and they improved after the interval and came more into the game.

Town still had more opportunities with Clough having a shot cleared off the line and Ricky Tomlinson missing a good headed chance, and Franks forced home a Tommy Wilson free-kick 10 minutes from time to earn a point.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Filey manager Dave Brannan hailed the all-round effort from his Filey team.

Both sides observed a minute’s silence before the game in tribute to Town stalwart Gordon Harrison, the father of former Filey player and boss Tich Harrison, who sadly passed away last week.

Newlands Park Reserves boosted their Division Two title push with a 3-0 win against Seamer Sports Reserves at a windy Oliver’s Mount.

After a goalless first half, Liam Mancrief put Park ahead and a neat turn and powerful finish from Liam Buglass doubled the home side’s lead.

Jordan Mintoft’s effort sealed the victory for Joe Hakings’ team.

Duchess also boosted their push for honours with a 3-1 home success against West Pier Reserves.

An own goal put Paul McBean’s side in front, though Dean Andrews levelled for Pier.

Man of the match Adam North restored Duchess’ lead and a Tom Hicks strike sealed the win.

Cayton Corinthians Reserves’ new manager Damon Cook earned a winning start with a thrilling 3-2 win at fellow strugglers Snainton.

Both times observed a minute’s silence before the kick-off in memory of former Snainton and Wykeham player Stephen Craggs, who passed away last week.

Josh Evans put the hosts in front with a fine solo run and finish, but Michal Szalabski levelled for Cayton before half-time.

A stunning 30-yard free-kick from Lee Paterson put Cayton in front 10 minutes after the interval, then Szalabski added his second from the penalty spot after sub Tyler Hanlon had been fouled only moments after coming on as a sub.

Four minutes from time 16-year-old Regan Hewitt smashed a thumping free-kick past the Cayton keeper to give Snainton late hope but Cook’s troops hung on for the three points crucial in their battle against the drop.

Centre-back Michael Dennis and right-back Kieran Glave were the joint men of the match for Cayton while Andy Holt praised the all-round effort of his Snainton team, who are still searching for their first league points of the campaign.

Ayton are also still looking for their first win of the season after a 4-2 defeat at Falsgrave Athletic.

Despite a bright start from the visitors, Falsgrave, led by the powerful runs of Mikey Anderson forged into a 3-0 lead by half-time, Mark Reddy scoring the first and third with an own goal wedged in between.

Matty Bywater pulled a goal back to spark Ayton into life, and when Josh Cooper, who had been a danger throughout the first half, slotted in from close range after a superb cross from Matty Bywater, it looked as if the momentum was with the away side.

But the win was sealed when Reddy completed his hat-trick, heading in after keeper Shaun Dolan had failed to claim a corner.

Left-back Paul Tymon was the man of the match for Ayton while Reddy was the star man for the hosts.

Fishburn Park Reserves claimed a shock 4-2 home Division Three win against a depleted Itis Itis Rovers side, the latter having netted 41 goals in their previous three wins.

Tom Wardell, Kane Brannick, Callum Halley and Mark Waterfield netted for the hosts, Luke Jones slamming home a 30-yard free-kick and a late spot-kick for Curtis Rose’s side, who had 11 players unavailable.

Jason Jeffrey was the Park man of the match for another impressive show in defensive central midfield.

Mike Barker was Rovers’ star man at centre-back.

Player-boss Eric Hall scored all four goals as leaders Eastway Sports eased to a 4-1 home win against Hunmanby United Reserves.

Hall put the hosts in front after only five minutes and despite United levelling he restored Sports’ lead in the 21st minute with a spectacular 50-yard lob over the visiting keeper.

Hall sealed the win after the break with his hat-trick goal and added a fourth with a header.

While Hall was man of the match, youngster Rob Whitehead, Oli Coyle and Sam Walker also impressed.

FC Rosette maintained their 100 per cent league record with a 4-0 home win against Filey Town 3rds.

Man of the match Louis Hird scored twice, while Simon Macdonald and Jamie Wray also netted for the Newby side.

Ryan Roe’s double helped Sleights Reserves to a 5-2 home win against Commercial.

Karl Hewison, Mikey Dent and Jack Raw-Idle also netted for Sleights, with Richard Davies also missing a penalty.

Danny I’Anson continued his fine scoring form with both Commercial goals.

Roe was the man of the match for Sleights, with Ryan Somers excelling in midfield for Commercial, named as their star man.