Jenkinson injury ends cracker

The friendly battle between the Saturday League and Scarborough Athletic was brought to an early conclusion on Saturday afternoon due to a nasty injury to the former’s Danny Jenkinson.

By Martin Dowey
Saturday, 18th July 2015, 7:07 pm

Jenkinson went in for a 50-50 challenge with Boro defender Steve Mallory after 72 minutes of action at Scarborough RUFC’s Silver Royd, resulting in the Newlands Park midfielder being taken off to Scarborough Hospital with a suspected broken leg.

At that point the game was level at 1-1, with Boro having dominated the first half, before the Saturday League lads fought their way back into the match in the second period.

The big tackles played a large part of the game, though there was plenty of good football from both sides on a carpet of a pitch.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Having shipped four goals in midweek at Thackley, Boro rung the changes defensively, with Leigh Franks and Nathan Peat slotting into the centre, flanked by Joe Lamplough and Paul Robson.

They came up against a lively local side that flowed forward on the counter when given any opportunity.

Boro could have struck first when Gary Bradshaw arched his back to head an effort that sailed just over keeper Callum Myers’ goal.

His opposite number Ben White then made a smart save from Curtis Rose, who had broken through the Boro back-line.

Boro’s sharpest attacker in recent weeks had been Tom Corner and once again this proved to be the case when he handed them the lead.

Bradshaw delivered an educated ball into the area and Corner was in the right place at the right time to tap home his fifth of pre-season.

More slick play from Boro was to follow, with Pete Davidson, Dominic Rowe and new boy Peat all involving themselves in some clever passing play.

They failed to penetrate the Saturday League side for a second time though, as a defence led by the composed Lloyd Henderson held firm.

With rolling subs allowed, the second period became something of a revolving door for Boro, as managers Bryan Hughes and Paul Foot tried a few things out.

Saturday League manager Shaun Mancrief also shook things up with one or two additions, which allowed them to raid further.

One of these attacks released the lively Jenkinson in on goal, he jigged past keeper White and was caught. Referee Steve Rowntree pointed straight at the spot.

Dean Craig stepped forward and showed no nerves in front of a packed audience by picking out the bottom corner.

There was more toing and froing after this, as both teams searched for the bragging rights.

That was until the challenge between Jenkinson and Mallory on the edge of the Boro box, which brought things to an untimely end.