Late heartbreak at Witton for Boro

Scarborough Athletic's impressive run came to an end on Saturday in heartbreaking style at Witton Albion.

Sunday, 20th March 2016, 1:42 pm
Updated Sunday, 20th March 2016, 2:24 pm
Boro news

A last-gasp penalty handed the hosts a 1-0 success after a quiet afternoon of football, making sure Boro had a disappointed drive back down the M62.

Just moments before the match-deciding decision, Boro had put the ball in the back of the Witton net, but the officials ruled it out for the softest of challenges on keeper Danny Roberts.

Boro must now wipe this frustration from their minds as they prepare for Tuesday night's big Doodson Trophy semi-final against Ilkeston.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Steve Kittrick's men came into the game filled with confidence, having beaten high-flying Northwich on the same pitch just a few days earlier.

Changes were made to the line-up with one eye on Tuesday's clash. Paul Robson and Nathan Peat dropped to the bench, while Dean Lisles and Ryan Blott stepped into the breach.

Defender Lisles was comfortably the busier of the two players in the first half, as Boro found themselves pinned back towards their own penalty area.

This was nothing new though, as it was a similar story on Wednesday evening when Northwich spent much of the night applying the pressure.

Witton had the perfect chance to go in front with 15 minutes on the clock, as Rob Hopley rose unchallenged in the box, but he failed to control his header.

Boro were only creating half-chances at this point, with Tom Corner's deflected stab from 10 yards being comfortably held by keeper Roberts.

The hosts had another good opportunity just before the break, but Carl Peers lost his nerve from close range.

After a brighter start to the second half from Boro, things almost dulled over when Hopley found some more space in the Boro penalty area. The big striker cleverly dinked the ball over Nick Draper, but his effort sailed wide of the target.

Lisles then nipped the ball off the toe of Hopley just as he was about to let fly at Draper's goal.

Boro did find themselves in the occasional good position. Glenn Matthews should have probably done better when he cut in on the left of the area, but he smashed over from an acute angle.

After another scare, when Dave Merris hooked a Peers effort off his own line, Boro looked as though they had finally grabbed a bit of joy.

Eddy Birch's ball into the box was poked home by Glenn Matthews, but referee Dean Watson ruled it out for a gentle shove on the keeper.

There were few protests from the Boro players, despite it seeming the softest of fouls.

The remonstrations were a little stronger when the game ticked into injury-time.

With play switching basketball-style from end to end, Boro were caught on the break, attacker Niall Flint clipped a Witton man in the box and Mr Watson pointed at the spot.

After the grievances had been swept away by the official, Danny Andrews stepped up and crashed it down the middle of the goal and into the net.

When the final whistle blew just seconds later, it put a harsh tinge on a game that would have been better suited finishing all square.