Newlands edge past 10-man Filey to book final spot

Newlands booked their place in the Coastal Shellfish League Cup final with a 3-2 home win against division one leaders Filey Town, who played almost 80 minutes with 10 men after the 11th-minute dismissal of star striker Cameron Dobson.

By Andy Bloomfield
Saturday, 28th February 2015, 6:14 pm

The hosts opened the scoring with an early goal from Dan Freer, but the turning point of the game came in the 11th minute when Dobson and Newlands ace Danny Jenkinson appeared to clash, referee George Roberts showing the red card to Dobson for raising his hands, but mistakenly booking Jonny Manson rather than Jenkinson.

Chris Duley levelled the scores for the league leaders with a header from a corner but Newlands soon regained the lead through a 28th-minute penalty converted by Sean Exley after a Town player had handballed in the area.

Kile Fields then made it 3-1 in the 34th minute when he rifled his shot in from the edge of the area after the ball was only half-cleared by the Filey defence.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

John Emmerson brought Filey back into the game with a penalty-kick before half-time, but neither side could add to their goals after the break with Newlands securing their spot in the final against Whitby Fishermans or Edgehill - who meet at Lythe next Saturday, 1.30pm kick-off.

Shaun Mancrief said: “The Filey lads were outstanding considering they were down to 10 men for most of the game, we had to work very hard for that win and the man of the match award for our lads has to go to the whole team for their overall display.

“We can now look forward to a final against either Edgehill or Whitby Fisherman’s.”

Town boss Jay Taylor added: “I have nothing but praise for my lads as they battled brilliantly playing a man down for most of the game.

“The referee had a bad first half. Sending off Cameron Dobson was correct for raising his hands but Jenkinson was not even booked as he showed the yellow card to another of their players by mistake.”

Edgehill had to dig deep for a 5-1 home win in division one against relegation battlers Hunmanby United, who led up to the 60th minute.

Veteran Andy Ball put United ahead early in the first half, and the visitors battled hard to hold onto their lead until the hour mark when Edgehill finally levelled.

Liam Cooper banged in a brace for the hosts, with Andy Noon, Gary Hepples and Danny White, from the penalty spot, also netting.

Jon Hyde also pulled off a fine save to deny Ricky Greening from the penalty spot, the whole United team sharing the star man award for their best display of the season.

Cooper and youngster Kurtis Henderson were the joint men of the match in the centre of Edgehill’s midfield, the win keeping the victors in the title race.

Westover Wasps eased to a 7-1 win at ailing Ayton.

Chris Hannam opened the scoring after only five minutes for Wasps after a fine pass from Curtis Rose, then James Seymour’s assist allowed man of the match Liam Buglass to volley in from the edge of the area.

Aidan McCallion crossed for Seymour to volley in Westover’s third in off the post and Chris Hannam’s header made it 4-0 at the break.

Rose headed in a fifth from Seymour’s cross, and although Dan Bywater pulled a goal back from the penalty spot, further goals from McCallion and James Burrows - who had come out from playing in goal - completed the rout, the latter volleying in adeptly.

Ryedale Sports Club eased any fears of being dragged into the relegation scrap with a 5-3 home win against fellow strugglers Sleights.

Ryan Roe put Sleights ahead, but Ryedale surged into a 4-1 lead by half-time.

Tom Kilpatrick pulled it back to 4-2, though the hosts soon hit a fifth and Ben Watson’s effort was merely a consolation.

Martin Myers netted twice for Ryedale with Sam Turnbull, John Ellis and Martin Foxton also on target.

Filey Town Reserves needed a last-gasp winner from Tom Haxby to secure a thrilling 4-3 home win against Cayton Corinthians, a result that keeps Town’s title push on track.

Josh Venner and Isaac Sands, from the penalty spot, put Cayton in charge at the break.

Filey roared back into contention after the interval and pulled into a 3-2 lead thanks to the huge thrown of Ryan Baldry, which played a part in all of the home side’s goals.

Joe Gage scored Filey’s opener with a volley into the top corner after a Baldry throw, and Haxby levelled matters from another Baldry effort.

More confusion was caused by a Baldry thrown in the 75th minute, Billy Coyne turning neatly in the box to put Filey in front for the first time.

In the final minute Cayton looked to have stolen a point with Venner’s second, but Haxby’s fierce right-foot volley, once again from a move started by a Baldry throw, secured the win for Lee Cappleman’s troops.

Whitby RUFC eased to a 6-0 home win against basement club FC Rosette to retain pole position.

Sam Gale, who usually plays in goal but was outfield for this match due to a lack of players, set up Mikey Kilpatrick for the opener, and then fired in the second goal.

Damon Craig smashed in a third goal for the hosts, who were 4-0 up by the break thanks to Gale’s second.

Kilpatrick completed his hat-trick after the interval, edging out Gale for the man-of-the-match award.

Scalby strolled to a 4-1 win at second-from-bottom Snainton.

Mikey Hartnett’s strike from the edge of the penalty area on 10 minutes put the visitors in front, but they spurned numerous chances to add to their tally by the half-time break.

Tom Haldenby levelled for Snainton from the penalty spot, but Shaun Scales’ fine work down the right set up Ben Webster to fire in Scalby’s second goal.

Mikey Hartnett and Rich Simpson were then on target as the away team pulled clear.

Defensive midfielder Mark Oldroyd and central midfielder Webster were the star men for Daniel Gregory’s team.

Stew Bates’ late strike secured a 1-0 win for Newlands Park Reserves at Duchess.

Neither side created many chances in this rather dour contest and it took a superb through-ball from Drew McCoubrey five minutes from time to set up Bates to fire in the winner for Joe Hakings’ troops.

Lewis Weller was the man of the match for Park, while centre-back Matty Hobson was the star for Duchess despite playing with an injury.

Sam Garnett’s hat-trick steered West Pier Reserves to an 8-2 win at Athletico2B.

Rob Speight also banged in two goals for the visitors, with Chris Weetman, Rob Bowman and Jamie Lee also on target.

Falsgrave Athletic moved level on points with division three leaders Seamer Sports Reserves after a hard-earned 5-3 win at Tennyson.

Mark Reddy opened the scoring for Athletic, and although Luca Dros levelled for the hosts, Paul Reddy’s thumping 30-yard volley restored the lead for the away team.

Adrian Kwiatkowski scored a second for the home side to make it 2-2 at the break.

Mark Reddy put Falsgrave back in front after the interval and a Zak Hansen brace sealed the win before Adam Martin’s late third for Tennyson.

Dan Marston was the Tennyson man of the match while Falsgrave’s team won their star man award.

Sherburn’s Liam Scott brace of first-half headers steered his team to a 3-0 win at Commercial.

Steven Parker sealed the win in the 55th minute with a fearsome free-kick, with Harry Walmsley and Rich Malthouse impressing for the victors.

Cayton Corinthians Reserves and Eastway Sports shared the spoils after their 2-2 draw at Station Road.

Mike Szalabski fired Cayton in front and although the visitors equalised an Adam Robertshaw effort put the hosts 2-1 up at the break.

The visitors made it 2-2 just after the hour mark but Szalabksi missed two good chances to win it, Jake Sands missing the best chance with only the keeper to beat.

Centre-back Daz Jones and left-back Mark Davison were the star players for Steve Gandolfi’s Cayton team.