Newlands end Traf’s two-year unbeaten league run

Newlands secured a 3-1 win at Sunday League division one leaders Trafalgar despite playing most of the game with 10 men, the hosts suffering their first league loss since November 2012.

Sunday, 14th December 2014, 3:07 pm

The previous defeat for Liam Salt’s team was a 2-1 reverse at the now defunct Filey Flyers in November 2012, the Staxton-based side having gone more than two years without losing in the league, and winning two titles during this period.

When Drew McCoubrey was dismissed after only 10 minutes for a strong challenge, it looked like the depleted home team - who only had 11 players and Salt as stand-in keeper - would grasp the upper hand, but the away team took full advantage of a strong wind at their backs during the first period and raced into a 3-0 lead.

Niall Gibb opened the scoring for the 10 men of Newlands, his free-kick defeating Satl at the back post, then joint-boss Ryan Cooper tapped in from close range at the back post to double his side’s lead.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Steffan Moon added a third goal before half-time, smashing the ball into the net after fine passing from Gibb and Ben Briggs.

Ten minutes into the second half Sean Exley headed in a goal to give Traf hope, but the dismissal of Danny Price for an alleged push on Michael Wilson in the 70th minute put paid to any chances of a home comeback, though young keeper Liam Giles made a couple of fine saves to maintain Newlands’ lead.

Joint-manager Ben Luntley was delighted with his Newlands charges: “Steffan Moon was outstanding in midfield for us today, but every single one of the lads were brilliant. To hand Traf their first defeat for two years is a great result for us and brings us right back into the title reckoning.”

West Pier came back from 3-1 down at Itis Itis to claim a 6-4 away win and move into second spot in the table.

Cam Dobson put Pier ahead early on, but a Jake Sands tap-in, a Gav Wood finish and a Paul Oldroyd penalty put the hosts 3-1 in front early in the second half.

Pier then hammered in four goals in rapid succession, and although Danny Locke pulled it back to 5-4 direct from a corner, the visitors sealed the win with an 80th-minute effort.

Dobson completed his brace while centre-back Sam Hyde, who was joint man of the match for Pier with keeper Jonny Hyde, also scored twice, with Travis Wood and David Bell also notching.

The whole Itis Itis team shared the man of the match award for a great battling display with only 11 players.

Whitby Wanderers continued their resurgence with a hard-earned 4-2 home success against local rivals Fylingdales.

The visitors roared into a 2-0 lead thanks to a neat finish from Barry Heyes and a fine chip from Lee Brennan. In between these goals Dave Fish saved a spot-kick after he had fouled Kyle Clacherty but escaped a card, pulling off a fine stop from Lewis Peel.

A double from striker Mikey Kilpatrick then brought the scores level and a Jimmy Landers effort, which cannoned in off his knee while he was attempting a volley, put wanderers 3-2 ahead.

Fylingdales brought on three subs at half-time and piled on the pressure but Wanderers defended heroically and then snatched a fourth with one minute remaining, man of the match Kilpatrick completing his hat-trick with a fine run and 30-yard strike.

West Riding suffered a shock 6-1 defeat at Cayton Corinthians, this being the first loss of the season for the second division title-chasers.

The away team took a 10th-minute lead, but Josh Venner levelled and player-boss John Best struck to put the villagers, who only had 11 players and no subs, ahead on 20 minutes.

Best’s 30-yard free-kick extended Cayton’s lead, and Jon Hodgson’s powerful 30-yard strike sealed the win for the hosts, Harry Holden adding a fifth before the interval.

Sixteen-year-old midfielder Jonathan Read scored his second goal in as many games to wrap up the scoring for the home side.

Heslerton coasted to an 8-0 win at Scarborough Spa, with Gareth Driver scoring a first-half hat-trick and Dan Blanchard a treble in the second period.

Man of the match Liam Mintoft also notched his first goal in Heslerton colours, an own goal completing the rout, with Blanchard and Driver also impressing.

Ayton’s superb first-half display helped them complete a 5-2 home win against Fylingdales Reserves, with new recruit Gareth Sygrove on top form for the victors.

The hosts took a 10th-minute lead when debutant Sygrove put in some good work before setting up Dan Pickard to bundle the ball home.

Lewis Rafter then set up Sygrove to smash home his first goal for the club, and a long-range free-kick from the left flank was floated over the keeper by seasoned campaigner Sygrove to make it 3-0.

Just before half-time Rafter took on a couple of Fylingdales defenders and found Dan Bywater with a precise 40-yard pass, the latter then controlling the ball adeptly with his right foot with his first touch and cracking in a shot with his left boot to confirm the win for Ayton.

Tyson Stubbings added a fifth for Ayton on the hour mark, but the visitors battled back well after the interval and claimed deserved goals through Ben Thompson and Adam Lorains late on.

Sygrove and 16-year-old centre-back James Reddish shared the man of the match honours for Ayton and Callum Ogden was the star man for Fylingdales.

George Thompson smashed in four goals as Hull University defeated Alma 5-2.

Salim Dimla and Thompson scored a goal apiece in the first half for the students and then after the interval Thompson secured his hat-trick - and the win - with two more goals.

Player-manager Phil Clothier’s near-post header gave Alma hope and he then lobbed home from outside the area to give Hull Uni a few worries, but Thompson’s fourth soothed such fears as they closed out the win.

Thompson was man of the match for Hull Uni, with Shaun Evans and Danny Paaske also impressive, while Benji Paul was Alma’s star man in a solid all-round team performance.