Newlands sink Trafalgar to seal final spot

Newlands overcame Division One rivals Trafalgar 2-1 in the semi-finals of the Senior Cup.

Sunday, 20th March 2016, 5:00 pm
Updated Sunday, 20th March 2016, 5:16 pm

Jacob Codling picked out the top corner of Liam Giles’ net to open the scoring, and Ben Luntley’s charges should have extended their lead but Stew Bates and Drew McCoubrey both spurned great chances.

Traf stopper Giles made a number of fine saves to keep his side in the game, and player-manager Liam Salt then levelled the scores, smashing home Sean Exley’s pass from 10 yards out shortly after entering the fray as a 50th-minute substitute.

It was then the visitors’ turn to miss out in front of goal, Salt failing to convert a pair of decent opportunities.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The game’s decisive goal arrived 15 minutes from time when Drew McCoubrey netted a stunning 30-yard free-kick to seal Newlands’ place in the final.

Keeper Giles was Traf’s man of the match, while the central defensive pairing of Ricky Nock and Jordan Mintoff impressed for the victors.

In Division One, West Pier consolidated third place in the table with a 5-0 away win at Heslerton.

There were no goals in a scrappy opening 45 minutes, but Pier seized the initiative early in the second half when a home defender diverted Jamie Bradshaw’s cross into his own net.

Cameron Dobson doubled the lead when he rounded the Heslerton keeper and slotted in, before taking the scoreline to 3-0 soon afterwards.

Ryan Baldry’s long throw-in was then palmed into his own goal by the hosts’ gloveman, and full-back Chris Mattinson rounded off the scoring when he converted a late penalty.

Pier boss Paddy Parke singled out Sam Garnett as his side’s star performer following a typically industrious display from the central midfielder.

Lewis Peel hit a hat-trick as Fylingdales claimed their fifth win of the campaign when they beat nine-man Commercial 7-2 away from home.

Barry Heyes opened the scoring before Peel struck twice to put the village side in control.

Dales were then awarded a penalty which Peel tucked away to complete his treble.

Sam Leadley added a brace, either side of an effort from Sam Richardson as John Cuffling’s men eased past their understrength hosts.

Ayton’s Division Two title hopes suffered a further blow as they slipped to their fourth defeat in five games when they lost 4-0 at Newlands Reserves.

A Shem Atkinson penalty followed by strikes from Mark Wade and Dan Sheader saw the home side take a 3-0 lead into the interval.

Ryan Link wrapped things up for Liam Mintoff’s charges after the break as Ayton struggled to make an impression following another poor display.

Sheader was named Newlands’ man of the match after a strong performance in the midfield engine room.

A Jack Brown goal saw Roscoes Bar to a 2-1 home success over rock-bottom Barrowcliff Reserves.

Jamie Wray volleyed in with just five minutes on the clock to move the hosts in front but Rich Curtis’ nodded home to tie things up.

Brown got his named on the scoresheet in the 70th minute when he followed up after his initial header from a free-kick had been saved.

Brown and left-back Andrew Rowley stood out for Roscoes, while Joe Sunter was Barrowcliff’s star man.

Fylingdales Reserves fought back from a goal down to beat Crown Tavern by a 4-1 scoreline.

The visitors took an early lead but Simon Forde notched an equalising goal from the edge of the box, meaning the scores were even at half-time.

Forde found the back of the net for a second time to put Dales ahead and strikes from Taylor Humble and Andrew Marshall made sure of the victory for Neil Purves’ young team.

Left-winger Tom Shrimpton took the village side’s man of the match award.

Scarborough Campus remain second from bottom of the table after they lost out 5-2 at home to Cayton Corinthians, despite goals from Michael Stables and George Thompson.

Lee Tattersall was in fine form for the university side, despite their defeat.