Rosette title bid gathers pace

FC Rosette's title ambitions gathered pace as they beat fellow promotion hopefuls Goal Sports by a 3-2 scoreline in Division Three.

Sunday, 20th March 2016, 8:32 am
Updated Sunday, 20th March 2016, 8:54 am
FC Rosette's Wayne Shaw (yellow kit) scored the winner in his side's victory over Goal Sports

The Newby side are now five points clear of second-placed Eastway Sports with a game in hand following their 12th win in 14 league games.

Joe Logan opened the scoring in the first half but Sports’ Niall Prentice levelled matters when he turned well and lashed home a fine effort after being set up by Dan Pickard.

Al Wray’s free-kick moved Rosette back in front before half-time and Wayne Shaw put the home side 3-1 ahead with an hour on the clock.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sports spurned a number of chances to hit back before Mike Grayshan eventually converted a left-wing cross by George Friend to reduce the arrears.

The visitors continued to create and waste opportunities but it looked like they would get back on terms in the last minute, only for Pickard to head over the bar from just six yards out.

Scalby Reserves continued their climb away from the wrong end of the table when they beat Sleights Reserves 3-1 on home soil.

Jeff Brader’s Otters took the lead against the run of play when John Bateman netted for the third consecutive game, firing home a left-footed shot.

Chances were few and far between in the opening 45 minutes and there were no more goals until Bateman popped up again midway through the second period, tapping-in after Sleights keeper Dave Fish parried Tommy Day’s free-kick into his path.

The visitors, who had shaded the second half, were then gifted a way back into the match when Scalby defender Craig Furnell smashed a spectacular own goal into the top corner of his own net with 15 minutes to go.

Any hopes of a comeback were extinguished five minutes later however when Day squared the ball to Dan Gregory who picked out the bottom corner from close range.

Janne Oinas and Richard Brice shared the man of the match award for the victors.

Westover Wasps Reserves picked up their first victory in four matches when they won 4-2 at Filey Town 3rds.

Callum Myers (2), Rob Whitehead and Ross Taylor got their names on the scoresheet for the Wasps.

Grant Hayden and Jonny Keable struck for Filey, but their efforts were not enough to earn the home side a share of the spoils.

Luke Burton and goalkeeper Liam Braithwaite were in fine form for Town.