Saturday League - Cup & Division One reports: Filey and Edgehill share the spoils

Division One title-chasers Edgehill and Filey Town shared the spoils from a wind-effected clash.

Saturday, 5th December 2015, 8:14 pm
Danny Collins attempts an overhead-kick during Edgehill's 2-2 draw at Filey Town. Picture: Steve Lilly
Danny Collins attempts an overhead-kick during Edgehill's 2-2 draw at Filey Town. Picture: Steve Lilly

Steve Clegg’s Edgehill side took the lead after just five minutes when Mikey Barker latched onto Jackson Jowett’s ball in and finished neatly.

Liam Sugden’s effort ensured scores were level at the break before Barker grabbed his and Edgehill’s second with a fierce effort that flew into the top corner.

Filey grabbed a deserved point when sub Darren Clough scored direct from a corner.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Edgehill boss Clegg said: “The wind ruined the game, but a draw was probably a fair result.

“We hit the post and the bar in the second half, but Liam Giles made four or five great saves in the first half.”

As well as keeper Giles, Clegg singled out goalscorer Barker as his side’s standout performer.

Seamer managaed to stave off late pressure from Westover to net a 3-2 victory.

Paddy Parke’s men seemed to be cruising after goals from Joe Gallagher and Luke Delve, both from Gary Lawton set-pieces handed them a 2-0 lead at the break.

It was soon 3-0 after the break, Dan Bradbury feeding Delve to smash in.

Seamer were well on top and it took Wasps keeper James Burrows to keep them in the game with a couple of top-drawer stops.

Jamie Heritage’s men kept battling away and it was soon 3-1 when keeper Adam Morris’s goal-kick fell to Chris Hannam and he slammed in with an audacious effort from 40 yards out.

Another superb solo effort from Tom Sutherland, who beat three men out wide before rifling into the bottom corner, made it 3-2 and set up a tense final 10 minutes.

Seamer held on to their lead though to claim all three points.

Boss Parke singled out letf-back Luke Purvis as his side’s star man.

Whitby RUFC’s home clash against Cayton was called off.

Whitby Fishermen’s Society advanced to the quarter-finals of the North Riding FA Saturday Challenge Cup after beating AFC Crayke 7-0.

Mark Storr’s men cruised into the last eight after Sam Bailey and Mark Swales both smashed in braces, and Karl Storr, Steve Swales and Dan Smith all got on the scoresheet.

Right-winger Smith was also named as man of the match for the victors.

Itis Itis United and Scalby will have to wait to play their game again as it fell foul of the weather, as did Newlands’ trip to Stokesley and West Pier’s clash at Dormanstown.

Goal Sports were dumped out of the Harbour Cup after a 6-2 defeat at Lealholm.

Mark Plumpton’s men trailed 4-0 at the break, and despite two from their man of the match George Friend after the break, they couldn’t find a way back into the contest.