Saturday League: Cup reports - Duchess are penalty kings while ref injury halts Park tie

Duchess gained revenge for their league defeat to Snainton last week by knocking them out of the District Cup on penalties.

By Daniel Gregory
Saturday, 1st November 2014, 7:55 pm
Steve Roberts nets for Cayton in their 7-3 defeat at home to Cargo Fleet
Steve Roberts nets for Cayton in their 7-3 defeat at home to Cargo Fleet

Duchess suffered a 2-0 defeat against Leigh Watson’s men last week, but started this tie in positive fashion, Tim Jackson scrambling them into a 1-0 lead.

Snainton battled back after the break after Duchess sat back and invited pressure, with the game ending 1-1 after 90 minutes and then 30 minutes of extra-time.

That sent the game to the penalty shoot-out, and despite man of the match Luke Midgley missing the first effort and then Bell missing also, successful efforts from Gary Maw, Tom Hicks and then Ian Laing handed them the 3-2 win as Snainton spurned three spot-kicks.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Duchess’ Matty Hobson said: “It was a close game but I thought we were the better side.

“We started brighter than we have in recent weeks and although we sat back and let them back into the game, we deserved to go through.”

Second division title-chasers Whitby RFC were given a run for their money by third division Ayton Reserves until a wonder-goal from sub Dave Welham cruelly knocked them out.

Paul Jobling and Damon Craig netted to put Whitby 2-0 up as it seemed the home side would run through their visitors from division three.

But Mark Plumpton’s men battled back and goals from Mark Craven and Chris Milburn either side of the break handed them parity.

Just as the game looked to be heading for extra-time, substitute Dave Welham struck a stunning overhead-kick into the top corner after Sam Richardson’s header had been saved, handing Steve Mothersdale’s side the 3-2 win.

Mothersdale said: “Full credit to Ayton. They’re a good little side and they try to get the ball down.

“Their keeper didn’t deserve to be on the losing side and while they got lucky at times, I feel for them.
“Dave Welham’s goal is the best I’ve seen in local football. How a 15stone man managed to get that high into the air and produce that, I have no idea.”

Ayton keeper Ross Gill was in fine form, as was Macauley Moore in the Ayton midfielder, while Harry Smith shone at centre-back for Whitby.

Another side who suffered late on in their cup tie were Cayton Reserves, who conceded in the last minute and lost 3-2 to Eastway Sports.

Jamie Whitelaw put Cayton in front but Eric Hall levelled for Eastway.

Craig Moss put Eastway in front before Nick Hodgson bundled home an attempted lob from Whitelaw for 2-2.

Bobby Penney was given a second yellow card after two late challenges, leaving Eastway with 10 men, but this didn’t hinder them as Rob Clark scored in the 90th minute to send his side through.

Cayton’s first team also exited the competition as they were beaten 7-3 at home by Cargo Fleet.

Despite Steve Roberts bagging a brace and Ash Durham scoring for Shaun Rennison’s men, Cargo led 4-1 at the break and then extended their lead to 6-2 and then ran out 7-3 winners.

Rennison said: “There wasn’t much in the game to be honest, we had two goals disallowed and that hurt us.”

Rennison singled out two-goal man Roberts as his side’s star man.

Filey Town Reserves continued their impressive start to the season as they knocked Rosette out with a 4-0 win.

Tom Haxby grabbed a brace and goals from Tom Scales and Max Gage handed Lee Cappleman’s men a comfortable victory and a place in the next round.

Sherburn were dumped out as they suffered a 2-0 home defeat to Kirkdale United, and top flight Ryedale beat third division Commercial 6-2 to progress.

Ryedale’s goals came courtesy of hat-tricks from Martin Foxton and Jack Hall, who netted a penalty.

There were mixed results for the local sides in the North Riding County FA Saturday Challenge Cup.

West Pier convincingly booked their spot in the next round with a 10-2 hammering of Whitby Fisherman’s Society.

Pier went 3-0 up within six minutes and never looked back as Neil Thomas smashed in six and goals from Rob Speight, Paul Provins, Martin Cooper and Tommy Barker rounded off the scoring for Andy Spivey’s men.

Edgehill yet again drew 1-1 and were again victors 5-4 from the penalty spot to move into the next round after a physical encounter at Kader.

Carl Hepples netted the solitary goal for Steve Clegg’s men in a tight and often physical 1-1 draw on the road, taking the game to pens.

Once again, as in the last round of the competition, Edgehill held their nerve with Dan Jones, Dean Craig, Aaron Jenking, man of the match Danny White and Ricky Greening all converting from the spot, with keeper Liam Salt saving Kader’s third penalty onto the bar.

Newlands and Lingdale United will have to do battle again after an injury to referee Oliver O’Brien cut their tie short after 30 minutes.

The home side were leading 1-0 through a Jack Hakings goal when a suspected hamstring pull to the match official O’Brien brought an early close to proceedings.

Both Seamer and Athletico2B were dumped out of the competition.

Seamer lost 5-2 at Richmond despite goals from Matty Forsyth and Joe Tiffany, while Athletico2B were beaten 6-1 by Ouseburn, Martin Cappleman firing in a late consolation from the penalty spot.

Filey Town’s reign as East Riding CFA Country Senior Cup champions ended as they were beaten 3-0 on the road at Riccall.

Jay Taylor was missing several key men for their trip to Riccall, who were 2-0 down at the break and couldn’t force their way back into the tie, with a late penalty adding gloss to the scoreline for the victors.

Despite their defeat and subsequent cup exit, Taylor was impressed by new signing Tommy Wilson, who came off the bench and looked lively up front.