Saturday League divisions 2 & 3: Scalby march on

Scalby maintained their flawless start to the season with a 7-1 win at home to Snainton to claim top spot in Division Two, while Itis It s Rovers went goal crazy in Division Three to earn a 15-0 win at Commercial.

By Andy Bloomfield
Saturday, 26th September 2015, 10:08 pm
Commercial Skipper Josh Dolan attempts to stop a goalbound Sam Braodbent.It Is It Is Rovers V Commercial @Olivers Mount 152101g
Commercial Skipper Josh Dolan attempts to stop a goalbound Sam Braodbent.It Is It Is Rovers V Commercial @Olivers Mount 152101g

Mark Vasey put Scalby in front at home to the struggling Snainton side, Ben Webster firing in from 25 yards to double the hosts’ lead.

Liam Vasey then hit a third and when Mikey Hartnett added a fourth Scalby had effectively won the game by half-time.

Ashley Townley added a fifth after the break, the visitors pulling a goal back through a Danny Wedge own goal but he soon made amends by scoring at the other end to make it 6-1.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Hartnett’s free-kick completed the scoring, with Webster man of the match for the victors.

Newlands Park Reserves were knocked off top spot due to their 3-3 home draw against an improving Filey Town Reserves.

A second-half double from Drew McCoubrey and a Sam Chambers strike in between earned a point for the hosts.

Ali Caw smashed four goals in as Seamer Sports Reserves won 7-1 at West Pier Reserves.

Danny Glendinning added a hat-trick but blotted his copybook by receiving his marching orders afterwards.

Travis Wood scored the consolation for Pier.

Duchess maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a 7-0 home win against a depleted Ayton side.

The hosts were 2-0 ahead at the break, but they could have had a lot more goals if not for the saves of Ayton’s impressive goalkeeper Luke Elliot.

Injury to Ayton’s in-form centre-back Tom Clarke saw the visitors concede a further five goals, as the hosts ran riot.

Right-winger Tom Hicks scored twice, with defender Alan McCarten marking his comeback from injury with a fine headed goal from a corner.

Man of the match Chris Watson also scored with JP Watson, sub Ian Jenkinson and centre-half Rich Garton also netting.

Edgehill Reserves worked hard for a 4-1 win at Cayton Corinthians Reserves.

Player-manager Martyn Ferrey put the visitors ahead from the penalty spot in the first half, but a spot-kick from Ash Durham levelled the scores by half-time.

With 20 minutes remaining it looked like the hard-working hosts were going to earn a point, but Edgehill’s man of the match Maciey Kapczynski, playing out of position at centre-back, put the away side back in front and Andy Noon added a third after a pass from Ferrey.

Tom Scales sealed the win with a top-corner finish, but Ferrey admitted that the scoreline was a bit unfair on the hosts.

Durham was sent off late on for the hosts to cap a disappointing day for Cayton.

Niall Gibb fired in five goals as Itis Itis Rovers coasted to a 15-0 win at Commercial in Division Three.

Luke Jones smashed in a hat-trick for Rovers, while player-manager Curtis Rose and Sam Broadbent struck a brace apiece.

Neil Forsyth, Ross Kevan and Sean Bloom, with a cracking 30-yard free-kick, completed the rout.

Central midfielder Forsyth and centre-back Glenn O’Neill were the Rovers star men.

The honours were shared in a thrilling 4-4 draw between Hunmanby United Reserves and Scalby Reserves.

United opened the scoring, but Darren Walters’ tap-in after a good team made it 1-1.

A composed finish from Rich Simpson put Scalby ahead and Simpson then tapped home at the back post from Ellis Wilson’s drilled cross.

United roared into action after the break and scored three times in the first 15 minutes to go 4-3 ahead.

Walters smashed his free-kick into the top corner in the 81st minute to earn Scalby a point, Walters earning the man of the match award for a fantastic game up front as held the ball up well.

Sleights Reserves worked hard for a 4-2 home win against Westover Wasps Reserves, Simon Taylor netting a double for the hosts.

Jack Salt put Wasps in front with a clever lob over the home keeper Dave Fish, but Taylor levelled with a neat finish and Tom Kilpatrick’s drive at the far post put the hosts in front.

A thunderbolt from Callum Myers, the midfielder smashing a volley with his weaker left foot from 30 yards, then drew the scores level once again.

Myers’ penalty was then saved by Fish and this miss proved crucial as Taylor’s 35-yard lob made it 3-2 at half-time, and Jim Neil scored after the break to secure the points.

Kilpatrick was the man of the match for Sleights while full-back Mark Bean was the star man for Rob McPherson’s Wasps outfit.

Leaders Eastway Sports earned a 4-2 home win against Sherburn.

The hosts went in front, but Dan Sheader levelled for the villagers, only for Sports to regain the lead before the break.

Eastway added a third after half-time, but Liam Scott pulled a goal back for Sherburn to keep them in the game, though the pacesetters hit a fourth to secure the points.

Stand-in keeper Dan Simpson was the man of the match for Sherburn, pulling off two spectacular saves to keep his side in the contest.