Saturday League: Westover edge past Ryedale to go top

Westover Wasps dug deep for a 2-1 win at basement club Ryedale SC to go to the top of the Saturday League first division for the first time in their history, while Filey Town Reserves won 6-1 at Snainton to return to the top of the second division standings.

By Andy Bloomfield
Sunday, 7th December 2014, 12:57 am

Ryedale hit the bar through new signing Taryn Midgley in the first half of the division one clash, but soon after the strugglers did take the lead when skipper Sam Turnbull headed in at the far post.

Wasps stepped up a gear after the break and levelled on the hour mark when Chris Hannam broke free on the halfway line, his pass setting Luke Jones free and the in-form striker slotting home.

With time running out, Jones grabbed the winner after a long pass from Curtis Rose.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Centre-back Jack McFarlane was the Westover star man, while Tom Tate was Ryedale’s man of the match.

Filey Town also had to battle for a 3-1 win at Seamer Sports, a victory that keeps Town in the title hunt.

After a keenly-contested first 30 minutes, man of the match Cameron Dobson put Town ahead after fine play from Ricky Tomlinson and Gary Wardell.

Nine minutes later a clever pass from Lalan Flynn released Tomlinson who took the ball round the Seamer keeper before shooting home.

Just before the hour mark Dobson’s diving header after another great cross from Tomlinson on the right flank sealed the win for Town, despite Seamer clawing a goal back soon afterwards.

Hunmanby United boosted their chances of beating the drop with a 4-2 home win against rivals Ayton.

Filey Town Reserves surged back to the top of the second division with a 6-1 win at struggling Snainton.

Nathan Robson opened the scoring for Town, and further goals for Tom Scales (2), man of the match Martyn Jenkinson and Dave Brannan jnr from a free-kick saw the visitors race into a 5-0 lead by half-time, all the goals coming in the 15 minutes before half-time.

The hosts pulled a goal back after the break, Gavin Truelove scoring his first-ever senior goal to seal the visitors’ win, showing great persistence after his initial penalty and rebound were both saved before he fired in at the third time of asking.

Edgehill Reserves super-sub David Bell scored twice in the final five minutes as they snatched a 2-1 win at Scalby.

After a goalless first half, the villagers opened the scoring when Brandon Catherall’s cross - after a fine run from the youngster - was headed down and the ball ricocheted in off Mikey Hartnett.

Five minutes from time Bell drilled home the leveller, and in the final minute Mikey Barker used his pace to break through the Scalby defence and squared the ball for Bell to snatch victory.

Keeper Daz Palmer and Bell were the star men for Edgehill, while Scalby chief Dan Gregory said:”We definitely deserved a point as it was a very even game, both sides had chances and to lose in the last minute was very hard to take.

“Catherall and Simon Rigg were out best players.”

Bottom-placed FC Rosette were unlucky to lose out by the odd goal in nine at home to free-scoring Athletico2B.

A Jamie Wray penalty and a neat finish from young debutant Sean Thornton, who has signed from Westover Wasps, steered Rosette into an early 2-0 lead.

On the stroke of half-time Shaun Dodson fired in from 15 yards after a good move, but Simon McDonald tapped home from close range early in the second half to restore Rosette’s two-goal lead.

Sam Swift’s great finish from the edge of the box and a Ben David effort pulled it back to 3-3, but Thornton’s second put Rosette back in front with 15 minutes remaining.

Dodson struck again to level and five minutes from time David scored a left-foot volley to secure the win.

Damo Dale was the man of the match for the Cats for a cracking midfield display, while centre-back Sam Medd impressed in his comeback game at the heart of the defence.

Keeper Mikey Harland and centre-back Martin Hadrick shone for Rosette.

Newlands Park Reserves worked hard for a 4-2 win at relegation-battling West Pier Reserves.

Chris Weetman opened the scoring for Pier on 10 minutes, but Gary Jordan levelled from a well-worked free-kick and a left-footed thunderbolt from veteran Franny Lightfoot put the visitors in front.

On the half-hour mark Weetman equalised, but Joe Hitchcock restored Newlands’ lead before half-time.

Pier pressure looked set to yield another leveller in the second half, but Newlands defended stoutly and they secured the win with a breakaway effort from Stew Bates.

Will Rowley was named as the man of the match for Park, the keeper having made some crucial saves in the second half.

Westover Wasps Reserves hot-shot Thomas Mackenzie-Fenwick scored a hat-trick as they won 6-0 at Sleights Reserves in division three.

Mark Bean, Ellis Wilson and Richard Taylor, who had been moved out of goal, completed the scoring for the visitors.

Wilson and Mackenzie-Fenwick shared the star man honours for Wasps, with defender Richard Davies the Sleights man of the match.

A Jake Sands treble helped Cayton Corinthians Reserves to a 5-2 win at Commercial.

Craig Garton and Jamie Whitelaw, from the penalty spot were the Cayton scorers, with Michael Hernandez and Macaulay Youngson netting for the hosts.

Adam Smith was the Commercial man of the match for a strong central midfield display.

Ayton Reserves earned a 3-1 win at Sherburn, who are still looking for their first league win of the season.

A fine run and a strong finish from Chris Milburn put Ayton ahead, Tommy Smith adding a second and Mark Craven putting the visitors in charge at half-time.

Sam Rackham pulled a goal back on the hour mark, but Ayton held on for the win, with Niall Prentice their man of the match, and keeper Alex Glass also shining.

Goals from Sam Mahoney and Luca Dros failed to save Tennyson from a 3-2 loss at home to Eastway Sports.

Nigel Forsyth was the man of the match for Tennyson.