Scalby secure League Cup final spot with win at Thornton

Scalby under-16s reached the Schneider Electric League Cup final for the second time in three years with a 5-1 win at a battling Thornton-le-Dale side.

Phoenix scoring during their 4-0 under-16s league win at Eastfield
Phoenix scoring during their 4-0 under-16s league win at Eastfield

A brilliant defensive display by the visitors kept Dale’s impressive attack at bay, and goals from Josh Williams (3) Finley Davison Ward and Max Loy capped a fine Scalby team display.

Matty Bourne and man of match Brandon Diston both had fantastic games for Scalby, who now face Ayton in the final after their 7-2 win at Holt FC Filey in the other semi.

In the league, Scholes Park Raiders romped to a 12-0 win at West Pier.

Super-sub Oliver Dixon smashed in four second-half goals, while there was a brace apiece for Tom Wade and Charlie Birley, with Kieron Wade, Cameron Hunter, Milosz Bulinski and Ryan Furnell also on target.

Cayton Athletic under-16s battled hard for a 3-3 home draw against Cherry Burton in their first Hull Boys Sunday Football Myton League match of the year.

A strong Burton side caught Cayton cold to earn a 2-0 lead, but a fine move involving Ben Atkinson, Ellery Liley and Josh Lever ended with Liam Child slotting home to reduce the arrears

Straight after the break, midfielder Aiden Thurston levelled with a 20-yard screamer into the top corner.

Cayton were caught on the break as a Burton forward got on the end of a ball over the top to put the visitors 3-2 up.

With time running out Cayton forced a succession of corners and from one setpiece they got a deserved equaliser when Chris Reddish showed fine skills as he contolled the ball at waist height before lashing in a volley to earn his side a deserved draw .

Newlands Park Raiders under-12s and Goldsborough finished their Specsavers League Cup semi-final locked at 1-1 after extra-time.

The two sides meet again this Sunday at Goldsborough for the replay.

After a goalless first half, Raiders went closes to opening the scoring in the second period, with Donnie Lee having two efforts go close and Matty Balfour and Sommie Lazim also narrowly missing out, but neither side could break through and the game went to extra-time.

Seven minutes into the first extra period Lazim finally broke the deadlock with a fine shot after chesting the ball down adeptly after a fine Lee assist, but four minutes from time United levelled to take the game to a replay.

Defenders Balfour and Joey Poulton shone for Raiders .

In the league, FC Seamer defeated a spirited Ayton Athletic 3-1.

An Archie Graham cross set up Callum Seastron to open the scoring.

Keane Knowles levelled for Ayton but another Seastron and Graham combination put Seamer back in front with a clinical finish from the latter. Seastron then added a final solo effort to make it 3-1.

Seamer’s man of the match was Tyler Duckworth, while Ayton keeper Kian Heblich had an outstanding game.

Scalby under-13s moved into the League Cup final with a 5-1 win at Whitby Fishermen.

The villagers got off to a superb start, scoring after 30 seconds. A fine passing move involving Liam Coulson, Sam Norton and Tyler smith resulted in a superb cross for Reuben Staveley to tap home.

Five minutes later Staveley picked up the ball 25 yards out, beat one man then smashed the ball into the top corner of the net for a great goal, and on 15 minutes man of the match Staveley completed his hat- trick, tapping home after a scramble in the box.

Scalby kept the pressure on Whitby and forced a corner which Jake Reeves swung in for defender Edward Hopper to head home.

The second half was all Whitby with Freddie White pulling off numerous saves, but the hosts got their reward with a goal but Scalby went on to seal the game with hard-working forward Marcus O’Flanagan skilfully beating a defender and poking home.

Scholes Park Raiders will meet Scalby in the final after a 4-1 win against Eastfield.

With seconds left in the first half, centre-back Jackson Scarlett’s fine run and 20-yard drive into the top corner gave the home side the lead.

Scholes started the second half with great energy and Aidan Crawford made it 2-0 when he was sent clear and slotted under the keeper.

Eastfield then pulled a goal back, but Raiders restored their two-goal lead through Charlie Smith’s fine curling shot, and with five minutes left man of the match Scarlett hit another sweet 20-yard effort into the roof of the net to seal a well-deserved win.

In the Trophy Traders Plate, FC Seamer Stormers bagged an 8-2 home win against Heslerton.

Jamie Hilton banged in four goals for the hosts, with man of the match Jenson Bradbury adding a hat-trick and a fine strike from Josh Bunyan, his first goal of the season, sealing the win.

Flixton under-14s’ 4-0 home win against Ayton earned them a final berth.

Ayton dominated the first 20 minutes, but Flixton striker Cameron Alexander fired in an effort to make it 1-0.

Alexander then doubled the hosts’ lead after some smart play by Harry Ward.

After the break, Alexander rounded off a fine day by finishing superbly with a hat-trick after some good play by George Davies.

Harry Ward topped off a fine display by bagging a goal.

Flixton will meet Goldsborough in the final after their 2-0 win at Scalby after extra-time.

The game was hard-fought and played in a fantastic spirit, with very few chances at either end as both teams defended well throughout, so extra-time was required.

The game seemed destined to be goalless until Adam Warrilow latched onto a half chance and placed the ball past Max Tadman.

With time running out Scalby striker Ethan Buck hit a 20-yard free-kick that seemed destined for the top corner but Connor Trueman superbly tipped it over, and in the dying seconds Chris Hall tapped in to finish the tie off.