Snainton relegated despite brave display against Filey

Basement club Snainton's relegation from Saturday League Division Two was confirmed despite a courageous performance in their 3-2 home loss against third-placed Filey Town Reserves.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 26th March 2016, 6:28 pm
Updated Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 8:34 am
Saturday League Division Two reports
Saturday League Division Two reports

An own goal gave Town the lead in the first half, and when Max and Joe Gage hit a goal apiece to make it 3=-0 at the break it seemed as if the floodgates would open, but the villagers had other ideas.

Goals from Shane McAuley and Damien Foster gave the hosts hope, but Town, who missed chances to extend their lead through Joe Gage and Liam Sugden, held on for the three points, sending Snainton down and keeping the victors' slim chances of defending their title alive.

Snainton boss Andy Holt said: "Keeper Haydn Backhouse was outstanding in goal, Jordan Backhouse played very well in defence, and there were great performances from Ned Kennedy and Mike Webster, as well as skipper Sam Cooper."

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

A magnificent 7-2 win for Newlands Reserves at Edgehill Reserves strengthened the victors' position as leaders.

Stew Bates opened the scoring for the visitors on eight minutes, lobbing the home keeper after midfielder Chris Bowman had won a fine header on the halfway line.

Seven minutes later he doubled the lead from the penalty spot and when Hughie Brown headed in at the far post on 20 minutes the points always seemed to be heading to the pacesetters.

The hosts pulled a goal back with Stephen Whitaker's header at the back post, but Bates completed his hat-trick 10 minutes before the interval.

Man of the match Drew McCoubrey struck in the 55th and 70th minutes for the visitors, Jamie Gallagher scoring a magnificent seventh to cap the win, Whitaker hitting his second late on from the penalty spot.

Ayton look set to join Snainton in dropping down to Division Three after their 2-1 home loss against Cayton Reserves.

The visitors took the lead early on at Wilson's Lane when Michael Szalabski took full advantage of hesitancy in the Ayton ranks to fire his shot past Shaun Dolan.

The hosts bounced back with a fine 20 minutes before the interval, equalising during this spell thanks to a well-worked goal, midfielder Jonny Atkinson setting up Chris Milburn to finish superbly.

The Cayton keeper made three stunning saves to keep the scores level as the hosts pushed on looking for a crucial second goal, and this was the pattern after the break as Ayton dominated possession without applying the finish.

The visitors made them pay for their missed chances when a long ball found Szalabski and he forced home his second.

There was still time for the visiting keeper to make an astounding point-blank save to keep out Danny Bywater's close-range header.

Young winger Tyler Beck sparkled once again for the hosts, with centre-back Jake Adams also impressing.

Mark Reddy's second-half double helped Falsgrave to a shock 3-1 win at Scalby as the victors took a huge step towards second division safety.

After a goalless first half, Reddy opened the scoring and although Scalby levelled, Mikey Anderson soon restored the visitors' lead, Reddy confirming the win with a cracking 30-yard strike.

Seamer Sports Reserves were held to a 2-2 home draw by Duchess, despite a brace of goals from Tom Adams.

The visitors had a great chance to go in front when awarded a fifth-minute penalty, but the effort was superbly kept out by Gaz Walters and Adams then struck a fine goal to put the villagers in front.

JP Watson soon levelled for the away side but a header from Adams restored Seamer's lead before the break.

Seven minutes from time Duchess man of the match James Hughes earned his side a share of the spoils.

Adams and Walters shared the man of the match honours for the home side.