Sunday League: Riding hold their nerve from the spot to seal Sunday Cup progression

West Riding keeper James Burrows was the hero as he saved two and scored one penalty as his side beat Riverside 6-5 from the spot after a 2-2 draw in the North Riding County FA Sunday Cup.

By Daniel Gregory
Sunday, 7th December 2014, 4:29 pm
Sunday League round-up by Daniel Gregory
Sunday League round-up by Daniel Gregory

James Prethero’s side took a 1-0 lead through James Seymour, but their hosts hit back to send the sides in level at the interval.

Riding fell behind for the first time in the contest after the break, but man of the match Seymour headed in to restore parity.

Neither side could add to their tally and the game went to a penalty shoot-out, and after Seymour and Luke Jones both missed from the spot, it looked like it would be plain sailing for Riverside from there.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

But Burrows netted from the spot before saving two more efforts to send his side through 6-5 winners.

Newlands are also into the next round of the Sunday Cup after beating The Corra 2-1 despite a lacklustre display.

Jamie Gallagher headed Ben Luntley’s men into the lead but they couldn’t hold onto their advantage as Corra hit back just before the break.

Newlands had to wait until the last minute of the game to seal their spot in the next round when Gallagher appeared to have been brought down in the box but the referee chose to award a free-kick.

Striker Drew McCoubrey slammed his free-kick into the top corner to send below-par Park into the draw for the fourth round.

Corra were clearly rattled by conceding a late winner and one of their players was sent for first use of the showers after a verbal volley on the referee landed him a red card.

Luntley said: “It was a poor performance to be honest. They were an average side but we were probably lucky to win the game.”

Stand-in keeper Chris Mann was Newlands’ man of the match, while Luntley also singled out striker Stew Bates for his work-rate throughout the 90 minutes.

Trafalgar made it six wins from six as the defence of their division one title continued to grow momentum with an 8-3 win at Klosters.

Rhys Howell’s men took the lead through pacy frontman Tom Scales, who made no mistake when he was sent through on goal, but Traf hit back to lead 2-1.

Scales turned provider as Liam Vasey levelled for the hosts, but Liam Salt’s men led 3-2 at the interval.

The game-changing moment came on the hour-mark when Klosters’ Nicky Sumpton was shown a straight red card after hauling down a Traf man when through on goal.

The away side netted from the resulting free-kick and promptly raced into an 8-2 lead before Michael Brown guided Darren Walters’ free-kick in to round things off at 8-3.

Sean Exley was in fine form in front of goal for Traf as he banged in four goals, while Mikey Barker grabbed a hat-trick and Alex Sheader wrapped-up Traf’s scoresheet.

Salt paid tribute to his entire side as they had to battle with 10 men for 30 minutes after five players failed to show up for the fixture.

Centre-back Sam Hyde helped himself to a hat-trick as West Pier hammered Commercial 8-0.

The returning centre-back leapt highest from three corners to power headers into the back of the net, while prolific striker Cameron Dobson also grabbed a brace for Paddy Parke’s men.

Their other goals came courtesy of a fine strike from Martin Cooper and goals from Dan Bradbury and Ryan Baldry.

Parke singled out centre-back Hyde as his man of the match, he said: “On a boggy, sloppy pitch at Oliver’s Mount, we managed to play some tidy football at times.

“I said to Geoff Osguthorpe (Commercial manager) after the game that credit to his lads, they never stopped grafting for each other.”

A depleted Fylingdales side ran out 4-1 winners at home to Itis Itis.

Dales were missing several key players and had 45-year-old player-manager John Cuffling at the heart of their defence, but it didn’t matter much as they battled to a well-earned three points.

They were dealt a further blow after 20 minutes when Matt Winspear, returning from a knee injury, suffered another knock and had to go off, leaving the hosts with just 10 men.

Nevertheless, Dales took a 2-0 lead when Simon Forde netted against the run of play to edge the home side in front, before banging in another moments later.

It was 2-1 after a bizarre Paul Watson own goal moments later. Keeper Jamie Wassell collided with him from a half-cleared corner and the ball ricocheted in off the back of Watson’s head.

Dales hit back though and led 3-1 at the break, Kyle Clacherty beating the keeper at the near post.

Their win was confirmed 10 minutes into the second half when Dan Shackleton broke down the right and managed to squeeze the ball in at the near post.

Dales’ player-boss Cuffling singled out Clacherty and Jake Faichney, who was solid in the middle of the park despite carrying a knock, as his side’s star men.

The pick of the games in division two saw Hull Uni battle back from a 3-0 half-time deficit to take a share of the spoils from a 4-4 draw at Scarborough Sports Barrowcliff.

Sean Naylor grabbed two and Ryan Link also found the net as Tony Walker’s side held a seemingly comfortable 3-0 advantage at the break.

George Thompson registered for Uni to make it 3-1, only for Naylor to complete his hat-trick to make it 4-1 and put Barrowcliff back in charge.

Uni were getting into their stride though and a Nathan McCabe penalty made it 4-2 before Shaun Evans cut the deficit back to just one goal.

Captain Paul Hill was the man of the moment to fire in after a goalmouth scramble and earn the away side a share of the spoils.

Walker picked Leeroy Donaldson as his side’s star man, while Hill was quick to single out keeper Niaz Mohammed and utility man Salim Dimla.

Trafalgar Reserves maintained their charge for the division two title with a comfortable but not convincing 6-1 win at home to Scarborough Sports Spa.

Taylor Jordan netted the opener for Traf but Spa held parity at the break.

However, Traf’s superiority told in the end as penalties from player-boss Col Jenkinson and Jamie Wray and goals from Guy Newbold, Jack Pinder and a stunning 25-yard effort from Sam Pickard wrapped up the three points for Traf.

Joint-boss Noon singled out Pickard as his side’s man of the match.

Newlands Reserves beat Alma 5-0 as five different scorers all got their names on the scoresheet.

On a comfortable morning for Dave Gaddass’ troops, first half goals from Ross Taylor, Jonah Webster and man of the match Lewis Weller put them 3-0 in front.

Goals from Joe Sunter and Ryan Sanderson wrapped things up after the interval.

Ayton and Cayton shared the spoils after an entertaining 2-2 draw.

A tame Tyson Stubbings effort was somehow bundled into his own net by Cayton keeper John Crowe to hand Ayton a 1-0 lead, but Jon Hodgson levelled matters up before Jake McAleese capitalised on a lapse in concentration in the Ayton defence to put his side 2-1 up at the break.

Ayton weren’t to be denied a point though and substitute Dan Pickard netted from 25 yards after player-manager Mark Plumpton had won the ball back off a Cayton defender.

Debutant keeper Joe Mills was man of the match for Ayton.

Heslerton manager Dean Storry was delighted with his side’s performance as they beat Roscoes Bar 2-0.

Both their goals came in the first half as Gareth Driver capitalised on good work from man of the match Tony Cass to fire in before 17-year-old Tom Peel fired a 20-yard free-kick into the bottom corner past the flat-footed Bar keeper.

Heslerton never looked back and the delighted Storry said: “It was thoroughly deserved. It’s the first time we’ve played that well for a while now but we’re back with a bang and we 100 per cent deserved the three points.”