SUNDAY LEAGUE: Traf fire magnificent seven in North Riding semi success

Col Jenkinson's Trafalgar side smashed seven past Thornaby Roundel to make it through to the North Riding County FA Sunday Challenge Cup.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 5th March 2017, 3:15 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:56 am
Kieran Link wins a header for Trafalgar in their 7-0 win against Thornaby Roundel. Picture by Steve Lilly.
Kieran Link wins a header for Trafalgar in their 7-0 win against Thornaby Roundel. Picture by Steve Lilly.

After a cagey opening 10 minutes, Traf settled down and took the lead when Liam Salt curled past the Thornaby keeper from 20 yards.

It was 2-0 to the hosts at the break, Jimmy Beadle's header from a Georgie Rose cross doubling their lead.

Traf dominated the second half and were soon 3-0 up, Mikey Barker drilling into the back of the net.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Jenkinson then introduced Sean Exley and Chris Dove, and the pair had an almost immediate impact.

First Exley set up Salt to grab his second and Traf's fourth, before Dove headed in to make it 5-0 and put the result beyond any doubt.

Exley then got himself on the scoresheet, smashing in low and hard past the keeper to make it 6-0 before Shaun Dodson wrapped up the scoring from the penalty spot.

Jenkinson said: "It's a brilliant feeling, I just want to congratulate all the lads, we're not fearing anyone now and we can't wait for the final.

"The whole team played well, but Niall Gibb was man of the match."

Ayton pulled off a shock 1-0 win against West Pier to move into the semi-finals of the Senior Cup.

The decisive and solitary goal of the game came 25 minutes in, player-boss Mark Plumpton winning the ball and feeding Jonny Blakeston, who flicked onto Tyson Stubbings to power free of the Pier defence and fire in.

Ayton could've furthered their lead heading into the break, but Stubbings and Mike Grayshan both spurned glorious opportunities.

The hosts held firm in the second half to seal the surprise win and a place in the last four.

Plumpton singled out Niall Prentice as his side's star man.

Newlands will join them in the semi-finals after they cruised to a 4-0 win against Roscoes Bar.

Joe Hakings' side dominated the quarter-final clash and two goals from Ryan Rivis and strikes from Jack Ramos and Kurtis Henderson sealed their victory.

The score could've been more flattering on Newlands, but striker Drew McCoubrey ballooned his penalty high and wide.

Henderson was Newlands' man of the match.

The other quarter-final clash between Cayton and FILO was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Second-placed Scalby beat Scarborough Campus 2-1 in Division Two.

Brandon Diston and Josh Welburn bagged the goals for Lee Dolan and Mark Eyres' side.

Connor Sewell was their man of the match, while Matty Bourne also put in another strong display for the victors.

Angel Athletic v Fylingdales Reserves and Crown Tavern v Ayton Reserves were both called off due to waterlogged pitches.