SUNDAY LEAGUE: Traf grab huge win against rivals Newlands

Trafalgar’s bid to wrestle the title back from champions Newlands recieved a shot in the arm as they beat their rivals 4-2 at Staxton.

Sunday, 25th October 2015, 3:59 pm
Trafalgar's Liam Vasey challenges with a Newlands man. Picture: Steve Lilly

Liam Salt’s Traf had to do it the hard way after Newlands took the lead through Drew McCoubrey.

It was 2-2 at the break, Stew Bates’ strike keeping the scores level after the hosts had battled into a 2-1 lead.

Park’s Jacob Codling was sent off after 60 minutes after receiving a second yellow card for simulation and Traf took charge of the encounter.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Two goals apiece for Sean Exley and Billy Logan were enough for Traf to ease to the potentially crucial three points.

Salt singled out defender Danny White. He said: “4-2 flattered them to be fair.

“Danny (White) was man of the match but it was a good solid team performance.”

Park boss Ben Luntley felt the sending off of Codling altered proceedings.

“It could have gone either way,” Luntley said.

“The sending off didn’t help. It was a very harsh second yellow, he went down but got straight up and didn’t appeal, he was playing well up until that point.”

As well as singling out the performance of Codling, Luntley also praised the efforts of Jack Hakings.

Commercial picked up three points after a 3-1 home win against Barrowcliff.

Two from Luke Chambers and a Stu Wallace strike were enough for Geoff Osguthorpe’s side to take home maximum points.

Whitby Wanderers failed to raise a side for their game at Whitby rivals Fylingdales.

Roscoes Bar beat Scarborough Campus 4-1 in their Division Two clash.

Carl Hepples’ free-kick opened the scoring for Lee Paterson’s side before the Campus keeper spilled Graeme Farrah’s cross to Mark Kenyon, who made no mistake in firing in.

Bar had to wait until the 70th minute to make it 3-0 when Tom Allen’s cross beat the keeper and Kenyon won a challenge with a Campus defender to squeeze it in.

Sub Liam Rowley made it 4-0 and put the result beyond any doubt when Scott Newland laid the ball to him and he cut inside and smashed in off the under side of the bar.

Campus netted a late consolation but the points had already been secured.

Boss Paterson singled out Newland, Sean Rowley and Martin Hadrick as his side’s star men.

Three late goals netted FILO a 6-3 home win in their derby clash against Fylingdales Reserves.

Two Lewis Peel strikes, one from the spot, and a Zak Estill screamer ensured Dales were in the game at 3-3, but promotion-hopefuls FILO edged the encounter with three late strikes.

In addition to scoring from the spot, Peel also missed another opportunity to score a penalty for his side.

Ayton were 6-2 winners against Cayton.

Kieran Friett’s stunning volley made it 1-0 after an even 30 minutes before Dan Pickard rolled in after good work from Tyson Stubbings to double their lead.

It was 3-0 at half-time when Brad Parkin fed skipper Danny Appleby to smash in.

Stubbings scored after the break to make it 4-0 before Harry Holden’s screamer gave Cayton hope at 4-1.

Sub James Webb curled in with his left-foot and Niall Prentice’s precise lob made it 6-1 before Cayton netted a late consolation strike.

Ayton boss Plumpton said: “That was the best we’ve played all year, we were quality and could’ve scored more.

“The whole team were excellent but Appleby was our man of the match.”

Crown Tavern secured three points as they beat The Alma.

Tavern netted a comfortable 4-0 win to take maximum points.

Trafalgar Reserves hammered Barrowcliff Reserves 10-0 in their Kenward Cup tie.

Danny Glendinning was in fine form in front of goal for Mikey Barker’s men as he smashed in four goals.

Martyn Ferrey and Taylor Jordan found the net twice and Al Wray’s goal rounded off the scoring.

Barker named Glendinning as his side’s man of the match.

Another side to make cup progress were Heslerton, who beat Hull City Supporters Club 7-1 in their ERCFA Sunday Cup clash.

First-half goals from Billy Bown, penalty, and Dan Blanchard handed Dean Storry’s side a 2-1 lead at the break.

The home side took over after the break, man of the match Blanchard hitting the back of the net twice more to wrap up his hat-trick, Bown grabbed his second and goals from Mikey Clark and Tony Cass rounded off a comfortable cup tie for Heslerton.