Traf battle back to sink Newlands in cup cracker

Trafalgar battled back from 3-0 down after 25 minutes to claim a 3-2 penalty shoot-out win in a cracking Senior Cup clash at division one title rivals Newlands Park, while second division outfit West Riding suffered a 2-0 loss at home to Teesiders West Two in the NRCFA Sunday Challenge Cup quarter-finals.

By Andy Bloomfield
Sunday, 25th January 2015, 3:33 pm

Newlands won 3-1 against Traf just before Christmas and the hosts picked up where they left off last month, racing into a 3-0 lead in the Senior Cup quarter-final after just 25 minutes.

In the 10th minute Matthew Griffiths opened the scoring for Newlands from a corner, and 10 minutes later a precise reverse-pass from Jack Hakings set up Stew Bates to sprint free of the Traf defence and slot past keeper Chris Ferrey.

Five minutes later Newlands looked to have booked their place in the semi-finals when Stefan Moon’s cross was deflected into the net by the chest of Traf defender Dean MacAuley.

The turning point of the game came five minutes later when Newlands’ Ben Briggs was sent off by ref Damian O’Leary, and for the remainder of the half the hosts had to hang on against a resurgent Traf.

The visitors gained a foothold in the game early in the second half when Sean Exley poked home their first goal after a goalmouth scramble, and this then led to Traf piling on the pressure, and Luke Jenkinson headed in a second on the hour mark.

Jenkinson then levelled with a free-kick which took two deflections before beating the Newlands keeper in the 75th minute.

Traf continued their assault on the home goal but Newlands held firm and in injury-time they were awarded a penalty when Bates was brought down in the area, the striker dusting himself down before scoring the resulting spot-kick.

With virtually the last kick of the game Traf gained a dramatic leveller when Ali Caw forced the ball in after a scramble in the goalmouth following a free-kick.

In the shoot-out Park got off to the worst possible start when Aidan Thomas’ effort was saved by Ferrey, Neil Thomas scoring Traf’s opener.

Dan Freer levelled the scores before Sean Exley restored Traf’s advantage.

Jack Hakings’ penalty was saved by Ferrey, but then Gaz Thomas missed Traf’s next to leave it at 2-1 and Matty Griffiths levelled only for MacAuley to make it 3-2.

Niall Gibb then shot wide with Park’s final effort to seal Traf’s 3-2 shoot-out win.

West Riding were sunk by two second-half goals from West Two in their NRCFA Sunday Challenge Cup quarter-final.

Centre-back Jamie Heritage, who is also the skipper, was named as the man of the match for James Prethero’s team in this evenly-contested encounter.

Prethero said: “It was a very close match and I am very proud of how well my players did in this match, and also overall to get this far in the competition on their first attempt.”

Commercial boosted their chances of beating the drop with a hard-earned 1-0 division one win at relegation rivals Itis Itis.

Mikey Day scored the only goal of the game on 20 minutes with a free-kick that evaded the home defence and keeper and sailed into the net.

Commercial boss Geoff Osguthorpe said: “The goal was against the run of play and I think Itis Itis had the better of the game but we defended our lead very well and continue our fine run which has seen us only lose once in our last five matches.

“Veteran centre-back Mike Hyde impressed once again after helping us out at late notice while keeper Jamie Fowler also made some crucial saves, but the whole team battled very well to secure the points.”

Klosters ended a run of five defeats in a row with a 3-2 win at second-placed Fylingdales.

In an even first half, both sides missed some good chances, Klosters keeper Navid Ranji made a couple of fine saves to keep it at 0-0.

Klosters, who played two-thirds of the game with only 10 men, went in front after 40 minutes when Ash Townley fed Rich Simpson, who finished deftly.

Fylingdales equalised 10 minutes after half-time through Lewis Peel, they then went 2-1 up in the 70th minute thanks to a Tom Hodgson effort.

Klosters equalised almost immediately when Simpson curled a free-kick onto the underside of the bar and Liam Vasey was on hand to poke in rebound.

The visitors won it with two minutes to go when Dan Peel accelerated down the right flank and smashed a low effort across the keeper and into the bottom corner.

Man of match for the visitors was Nicky Sumpton for a razor-sharp display at full-back

The second division clash between Heslerton and Fylingdales Reserves was abandoned after 55 minutes due to a broken ankle suffered by Dales player Tobi Fergus.

Dave Smith put the away team in front, then Dan Blanchard levelled for the Ryedale team, Gareth Driver adding a penalty to make it 2-1 to Heslerton.

Adam Lorraine equalised for Fylingdales, but just before the hour mark Fergus was injured in a 50/50 challenge and the tie was abandoned.

Second-placed Scarborough Sports Barrowcliff and Roscoes Bar shared the honours after a thrilling 3-3 draw at Gallows Close.

The hosts went ahead in the 31st minute when good work down the right flank from Zak Hansen set up Sean Naylor to tap home.

Three minutes later Matty Rowley levelled for the visitors with a fierce shot, but five minutes before the interval Ryan Link struck Barrowcliff’s second after good work from Naylor.

On the stroke of half-time Tom Allen slotted under the keeper after a pass from Gary Hepples.

David Pickard had to be replaced in the Roscoes goal at half-time due to a wrist injury, George Allen taking over between the sticks.

Five minutes into the second half Hansen hammered in from 20 yards with a cracking strike, but sub Carl Hepples levelled with a cool finish in the 70th minute.

George Allen pulled off some superb saves in the second half to keep Bar in it and won their man of the match award, while Shane Hare and Leroy Donaldson shared Barrowcliff’s star man award.

Leaders Trafalgar Reserves coasted to an 11-0 home win against Newlands Park Reserves, who had keeper Sean Pinder and youngster Jamie Deyes both sent off.

Keeper Pinder was dismissed by ref Andy Thorpe for foul and abusive language, while Deyes also saw red for an alleged kick at an opponent.

Mikey Barker smacked in four goals for Traf while Jack Pinder also bagged a hat-trick, with Wayne Shaw, Damian Robinson, Al Wray and Danny Glendinning also notching, the latter scoring the goal of the game with a fine solo run and 20-yard lob.

Dave Gaddass hailed the efforts of the nine remaining players for battling to the end, with Joe Sunter putting in another fine individual performance.

Player-boss John Best, Jon Hodgson and Scot Davison all scored braces as Cayton Corinthians continued their promotion push with an 8-1 home win against Alma.

Jake McAleese and Shaun Rennison also netted for Cayton, the former scoring the goal of the game with a great run down the right before smashing home an unstoppable shot past Alma’s man of the match, keeper Jordan Woods.

Steve Waterson was the Alma goalscorer in the second half.

Ayton earned a 4-0 win at Hull Uni Scarborough campus thanks to a hat-trick from Dan Pickard.

Pickard opened the scoring on 25 minutes after a fine run from Ayton’s man of the match, left-sided player Sam Whitehead, and then Tyson Stubbings lobbed home from 15 yards to put the villagers on top.

Stubbings then set up Pickard’s second on the stroke of half-time, his corner was deflected into the net by the face of striker Pickard, who completed his first-ever hat-trick for the club three minutes into the second half after another strong run and pass from Stubbings.