Walshaw bags a brace as Scarborough Athletic cruise to Radcliffe Borough win

Scarborough Athletic eased to a 3-1 win against Radcliffe Borough to extend their unbeaten run on home soil to 11 matches.
Scarborough Athletic v Radcliffe BoroughScarborough Athletic v Radcliffe Borough
Scarborough Athletic v Radcliffe Borough

Darren Kelly named an unchanged side from his team's 2-0 defeat at Warrington last week.

Both sides had early efforts on goal, Michael Coulson's deflected strike was saved by Oliver Martin before Kole Hall let fly from long range at the other end, but his effort flew just over.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Boro were dealt a blow when Josh Barrett was forced off and replaced by Kian Spence, resulting in a slight re-shuffle in the back five.

The hosts took the lead when Coulson showed great composure to lay the ball off to Harry Spratt, who let fly with a superb effort with his weaker right foot that gave Martin no chance.

Radcliffe were making more of an impression off the field than on it in the early stages as their fans let off a flare before launching beer in the direction of Boro keeper Tommy Taylor.

Back on the field, as it looked like Boro were heading in at the break 1-0 up, James Walshaw produced a moment of magic, taking the ball down at the back post, dinking it over his marker and firing past Martin to double the home side's advantage to 2-0 at half-time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Despite coming out for the second half with the wind now at their backs, Boro made a sluggish start to the second half and Radcliffe had a couple of half-chances to claw their way back into it.

Boro soon cranked back into gear and a low drive from Ryan Watson was kept out by Martin before superb approach play from the impressive Kieran Glynn and sub Spence fed Walshaw, whose tame effort was again kept out.

More chances came and went for the hosts, Watson's low effort saved again by Martin before Walshaw had another glorious opportunity, but his effort from close range was somehow deflected over by a defender.

It looked like Boro were going to frustrated in their bid to add to their tally as yet more chances came and went, along with more pyrotechnics from the boisterous visiting Radcliffe fans.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

First Coulson was denied by Martin after shuffling the ball onto his left foot in the Radcliffe box, before on loan defender Tom Allan saw his rasping drive fly agonisingly wide of the target and then Spence's teasing cross was directed over by a defender.

Boro's frustrations were soon allayed however, more good work from man of the match Coulson fed Walshaw, who was denied by Martin but stooped to head into the bottom corner at the second attempt for 3-0.

Kelly's men kept attacking in numbers and both Coulson and Walshaw should've added to the home side's tally, but both were denied by Martin after going one-on-one with the busy Radcliffe custodian.

There was a warning shot at the other end to remind Boro that Radcliffe weren't done and dusted just yet, Taylor making a smart stop to his right.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Radcliffe sprung into action on the back of this and as more unsavoury scenes erupted in the stand, substitute Dan Mitchley bundled in for the visitors to make it 3-1.

The visitors had a huge chance to make it 3-2 and set up a nervy finish to a contest that should've been put to bed much earlier, but Mitchley headed straight at Taylor when well placed.

Boro saw the game out and claimed a well-deserved three points, and had they taken their chances they could've put six or seven past Radcliffe.