Wanderers hang on to break Commercial

Whitby Wanderers gained their opening win in the Scarborough News Sunday League first division, winning 4-3 at home to fellow new boys Commercial despite a spirited revival from the visitors, with Fylingdales winning 2-0 at a depleted West Pier and Klosters cruising to an 11-1 home win against itis-itis.

By Andy Bloomfield
Sunday, 14th September 2014, 3:59 pm

Wanderers took the lead after only five minutes of their home division one game against Commercial, Ste Ross glancing a header in at the near post from six yards out after a corner.

A blunder from Commercial keeper Jamie Fowler then saw a visiting defender’s backpass evade him and roll into the net to make it 2-0, and Ross’ second strike put the hosts 3-0 clear.

Wanderers looked to have the game sewn up when they added a fourth before half-time from the penalty spot through Jack Wilson after Simon Taylor had been fouled in the area.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Commercial roared back into contention after the interval and got a foothold in the game in the 50th minute, striker Neil Forsyth slotting his shot home and when debutant central midfield Mike Hernandez added a second the scene was set for a grand finale.

The Commercial pressure finally paid off in the 83rd minute when Macaulay Clarkson pulled it back to 4-3, but despite having a few late chances the home defence held on for the slender win.

Wanderers boss Mark Jackson said: “We played really well in the first half, but they came back strong in the second and deserved a point.

“Stu Gregson, at centre-back, was very good for us and he shared the man of the match honours with Joe Leadley, who was tireless in the heart of our midfield.”

Commercial boss Geoff Osguthorpe said: “I feel we did not play too badly in the first half, but a couple of bad mistakes let them take charge.

“After the break we did very well and definitely deserved at least a point, though I am very proud of the lads’ attitude to come back like that from being four goals down.

“I thought Neil Forsyth up front and debutant Mike Hernandez were our best players today.”

Klosters’ strike pairing of Neil Fryirs and Matty Turner bagged four goals each as Rhys Howell’s charges eased past itis-itis 11-1.

Fryirs set the home side on their way with just three minutes played and completed a first-half hat-trick which included a rare headed effort.

Turner and Liam Vasey were also on target in the opening period while Luke Chambers broke clear and slotted home at the other end to give the visitors a brief glimmer of hope.

Itis-itis started the second half brightly but after Turner crashed home the hosts’ sixth of the game on the hour mark it was one-way traffic from there on in.

Turner added two more with midfielder Sam Garnett helping himself to a brace and Fryirs registering his fourth with a thumping finish.

Klosters keeper Navid Ranji also hit the post with a late penalty kick.

Fylingdales earned a 2-0 win at a depleted West Pier.

An own goal and a Sam Bailey strike, from Lewis Peel’s cross, were enough to secure the points for the villagers.

Striker Paul Provins, forced out of retirement to help Pier get a team out, was their best player.

Second division leaders Trafalgar Reserves continued their 100 per cent start to the season at Heslerton, but they had to dig deep for a 4-3 win at Sand Lane.

Taylor Jordan’s classy volley back across goal and past the keeper - from a fine pass from Kurtis Henderson - put Traf in front, and a Mikey Barker finish soon doubled this lead.

Jamie Wray made it 3-0 with a neat finish after latching onto another fine through-ball, Heslerton pulling a goal back with the last kick of the first half through Dan Blanchard.

The home side then stirred into life and Curtis Dickinson pulled another goal back after the interval, but Traf restored their two-goal advantage with a Barker penalty after Jamie Wray had been brought down in the area.

Heslerton refused to submit and added a third in the 83rd minute through Mikey Clarke and only a strong Traf defence denied the villagers a share of the spoils.

Traf boss Col Jenkinson said: “There was only one team ever going to win the game. If we’d have been a bit more clinical in front of goal it would of been a bit more comfortable. They had three chances and scored all three, we battled well though and deserved the three points.”

Heslerton boss Dean Storry said: “We played some good stuff and at times were the better team, our man of the match was centre-half Mike Webster.”

West Riding also maintained their flawless start to the season with a 10-0 win at Scarborough Spa, star man Luke Jones banging in five goals for the victors.

Curtis Rose also banged in a brace of goals, while Jack South, Ryan Matson and Alistair Jennings also notched for the away team.

Roscoes Bar kick-started their season with a 6-4 home triumph against Ayton.

Mike Grayshan opened the scoring for Ayton with a volley from a corner, but then a four-goal blast from Carl Hepples and a goal apiece from Gary Hepples and Matty Rowley put the hosts 6-1 up at half-time.

Grayshan pulled a second back with a 25-yard screamer early in the second half, and a brace from former Roscoes player Dan Pickard, the first a penalty and the second a header, gave Ayton hope but Roscoes held on for the three points.

Cayton Corinthians won 2-1 at home to Fylingdales Reserves in a scrappy match at Station Road.

After a goalless first half, Cayton took the lead when striker Harry Holden raced onto a long clearance out of goal by keeper John Crowe, and the same player made it 2-0 after another through-ball allowed him to evade the Fylingdales defence and slot home.

Sixteen-year-old striker Ben Thompson pulled a goal back for Fylingdales 15 minutes from time, but the hosts hung on for the win.

Centre-back Dean Byerley was Cayton man of the match, while star man for the visitors was Ben Sullivan.