Scarborough RUFC battle back for home win against Pocklington RUFC

Aaron Thompson celebrates scoring the levelling try for the hosts

PHOTOS BY ANDY STANDINGAaron Thompson celebrates scoring the levelling try for the hosts

Aaron Thompson celebrates scoring the levelling try for the hosts PHOTOS BY ANDY STANDING
Scarborough RUFC came from behind to claim a last gasp 31-26 victory against Pocklington at Silver Royd.

The visitors nearly took the lead on 10 minutes but the ball was lost forward close to the Scarborough line.

They did take the lead shortly after with a well worked converted try.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Scarborough were enjoying plenty of the ball in good positions and squandered several opportunities to hit back and the visitors nearly extended their lead with a quick break down the left flank with only a great defensive tackle saving Scarborough.

Scarborough's Euan Govier in action against Pocklington.Scarborough's Euan Govier in action against Pocklington.
Scarborough's Euan Govier in action against Pocklington.

At the end of the first period Scarborough trailed 7-0.

The home side started the second period brightly and forced successive penalties a couple of yards from the Pocklington line.

Once again the hosts squandered a great opportunity as the ball was lost in contact. Scarborough were soon on the attack again after Pocklington failed to clear the ball. The ball was worked along the line but once again Scarborough surrendered possession easily and Pocklington countered quickly.

After a period of play in midfield, where both side exchanged possession a number of times it was Pocklington who extended their lead with a try under the posts.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad
Will Rennard in action for Scarborough RUFC v Pocklington.Will Rennard in action for Scarborough RUFC v Pocklington.
Will Rennard in action for Scarborough RUFC v Pocklington.

Scarborough were straight back on the attack and Euan Govier held off a number of tackles to crash over the line and with Tom Harrison making no mistake with the conversion the score was 14-7.

Pocklington hit straight back with a try despite a last ditch tackle from Phil Stewart. the conversion hit the uprights but the visitors had extended their lead to 19-7.

This wasn’t the end of the scoring in what was an action packed second period. Connor Ward scored for home side racing onto Tom Ratcliffe’s kick through and at the break Scarborough trailed 19-14.

Scarborough started the third period well and Aaron Wilson was held up just short of the line.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A high kick from Harrison was spilled by the defender and Scarborough again had possession in a good position but a wayward pass allowed Pocklington to intercept and run the ball 60 yards down field for another converted try to make it 26-14.

Scarborough upped the tempo with a period of pressure and were rewarded when Aaron Thompson went cover next to the posts. Tom Harrison kicked the conversion to make it 21-26 at the end of the third quarter.

The home side started the final period on the front foot and looked certain to score after Harrison took a quick penalty, with several Scarborough men in acres of space he over hit his chip kick to the corner and the ball ran harmlessly out of play.

Aaron Wilson thought he had scored when he powered over from close range but having made little effort to keep up with play the referee claimed he was unsighted, the hosts were then penalised for questioning his decision.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The momentum was with the host and Greg Parker was unable to get on the end of a Harrison kick into the in goal area.

Whilst Scarborough were dominating possession Pocklington always looked dangerous on the break and made ground with every possession moving the ball quickly.

With time running out Will Rennard made a superb break only to be brought down agonisingly close to the visitors line. Scarborough recycled the ball and a long pass out wide saw Aaron Thompson tie the scores with a try in the corner.

Harrison was close with the difficult conversion but heading into stoppage time the game was tied 26-26

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With both side squandering chances it looked as if the game would end in a draw but Scarborough had another chance.

Harrison kicked a penalty to touch just short of the Pocklington line only to be harshly penalised for what the referee deemed was a dummy throw.

The visitors then infringed and Scarborough has possession again, this time they were not to be denied and Tom Anderson went over in the corner to seal the win in what was the final action of the game.

A thoroughly entertaining game which ended Scarborough 31 Pocklington 26