Scarborough suffer Heath heartache

Scarborough were cruelly dealt a blow as they lost 20-17 at Yorkshire One promotion rivals Heath this afternoon.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 31st March 2018, 4:43 pm
Updated Saturday, 31st March 2018, 4:50 pm
Scarborough RUFC agonisingly lost 20-17 at Heath in Yorkshire One
Scarborough RUFC agonisingly lost 20-17 at Heath in Yorkshire One

Simon Smith's side took the lead in superb fashion when Tom Ratcliffe sold two Heath players outrageous dummies before charging across the whitewash to open the scoring.

Ratcliffe also converted for a 7-0 lead.

Their lead didn't last long however and home pressure told as Scarborough struggled to handle the power of Heath’s running pack.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

A good kick into the Scarborough's 22 resulted in a turnover and Heath used their size advantage to bulldozer over to level scores at 7-7.

Heath continued to play on the front foot, trying to bulldoze their way through the visiting pack, but Scarborough stood firm with some resolute defence to keep the hosts at bay.

They couldn't keep them out for long though as a Heath driving maul gaininged them serious yards before they drove downfield from a line-out and worked the ball through some tight phases.

The Heath scrum-half eventually dived in for a try past the ruck to open up a 14-7 lead for the hosts.

Back came the Seasiders and they applied some good pressure through multiple pick and drives five metres out from the Heath line.

Eventually Drew Govier was held up in the tackle and the ball was turned over to the relief of the Heath players and supporters and the hosts took their 14-7 lead in at the interval.

Scarborough pushed forward after the break but squandered a number of chances to narrow the deficit, which was extended to 17-7 when Heath kicked a penalty.

Scarborough battled back from the kick-off as James Perrett caught the return and ran through the Heath line before offloading to Jonty Holloway to touch down in the corner.

Ratcliffe converted from the touch line to make it 17-14 and give Scarborough hope.

The momentum was swinging Scarborough's way as they pressured Heath, who conceded a penalty at a line-out and Ratcliffe drew the sides level at 17-17.

Heath nudged back into the lead again though moments later, winning a penalty from a scrum and successfully converting for a 20-17 lead.

Scarborough had the chance to level the scores with 10 minutes left on the clock when they won a penalty, but Ratcliffe couldn't convert from a tricky position.

Heath had to dig deep and defend again in the dying stages after serious pressure from Scarborough, the away side won a line-out on the Heath 22.

Eventually Scarborough won a penalty, but with the last kick of the game Ratcliffe dragged his effort wide of the uprights and the referee called time on an end-to-end contest, the 20-17 win for Heath giving them the advantage in the hunt for a play-off spot in Yorkshire One.

DON'T MISS: Thursday's Scarborough News for full round-up of Scarborough RUFC's defeat with report, reaction, stats and coach Simon Smith's column.